Minecraft Classic No Longer Supported.

Started by Saracalia, September 18, 2012, 07:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bren4q

Quote from: Mudman on September 18, 2012, 09:50:01 PM
There are about 41 million accounts without premium. So if minecraft shuts down classic-

1. They will have millions of people pissed
There may be 41 million registered users on minecraft.net, but only a tiny fraction of this number are active Classic players. Most people registered and tried it and moved on. Many others have multiple accounts because it is so easy to register.

To get an idea of how many people are actively playing classic, just look at how many classic servers there are on minecraft.net and look down through the list at the number of players online in each server.

I extracted the numbers and am now looking at them in Excel.
At the time of writing:

- 350 classic servers online, of which 240 are empty (0 players)
- The total number of players currently online over all the servers is 972

So that's about 1000 players in the world currently playing classic right this minute. Of course, people play at different times and different days, but you can see that the numbers of active classic players is somewhere in the thousands, not millions. I estimate there are about 20,000 active classic players. Bit of a wild guess but I reckon its somewhere in that region.

I'd be interested to see what the numbers are at peak times, like Friday evening. I will extract these same stats this Friday for comparison.
Surplus to requirements

Saracalia

I probably say more than 20,000 play Classic.

Jahona

That number is a bit optimistic.  I say it's probably less than 5000 actual active players, and even then I think that's being generous.
Step into the prehistoric era and come face to face with some of the greatest animals to ever walk the Earth!

sifitis

Although the IS classic still clearly HAS players on it, there is a definite loss since when I started it.  At that time (April 2011), the servers were burning through almost a map or two per day.  At the moment...well, you get the idea.  Id have to agree that classic is slowly slipping away.

Ejay845

This isn't true. If you read below, it says "I want to play Minecraft Classic singleplayer I multiplayer"
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Glenn

Quote from: Ejay845 on September 20, 2012, 02:42:38 PM
This isn't true. If you read below, it says "I want to play Minecraft Classic singleplayer I multiplayer"
We didn't say it's already gone, but some of uss think it may be pretty soon...
NULLUS LIMES LEONI
No limits for the lion!
Currently studying Digital Arts & Entertainment at Howest, specifically Game Development.

bren4q

Quote from: bren4q on September 19, 2012, 08:32:39 AM
I'd be interested to see what the numbers are at peak times, like Friday evening. I will extract these same stats this Friday for comparison.
It is midnight in Europe and somewhere between 6 and 8pm in USA. Right about now should be close to peak time for Minecraft Classic.

- 370 servers online, of which 210 are populated.
- 1700 players online.

1700 still isn't that many. I wish I knew what these numbers were around 18 months ago for comparison, but I would imagine it is a fraction of what it was.

And the irony is, IS2 is currently getting lots of guests and we have to limit the number because we cant get enough admins online. Oh ye cruel fate!
Surplus to requirements

Saracalia

QuoteAnd the irony is, IS2 is currently getting lots of guests and we have to limit the number because we cant get enough admins online. Oh ye cruel fate!

I wish I could jump online, but like I posted in the shouts before, going to wait til I get my own computer before I jump on. Because my friends computer that I am on right now, it can't support Minecraft Classic. It even have trouble running Java based programs.

Kidd2000

Anyone else notice the decreasing of players since 1.0.0? Either they switched to Retail or just stopped playing completely. If this keeps going the way it is right now, the classic servers will have about 9 months left of hearty players.

bren4q

Quote from: Kidd2000 on September 22, 2012, 09:34:59 AM
Anyone else notice the decreasing of players since 1.0.0?
I first noticed a noticeable drop off in players around December 2011/January 2012, which was shortly after the release of v1.0 in November 2011.
Surplus to requirements

bren4q

Quote from: bren4q on September 19, 2012, 08:32:39 AM
At the time of writing:
- 350 classic servers online
- The total number of players currently online over all the servers is 972
Random fact bump.
7 months ago there were 350 classic servers with approx 1000 players online at that moment in time.
Today there are 190 servers with approx 550 players online at this moment in time.
Surplus to requirements

Juwayyid

It's no wonder why we don't get traffic like we used to.  There honestly must be something we can do guys!  I'm trying to push MWC further and we are staring up tutorials and reviews on the insomniac channel, but making videos isn't a great way to advertise!

Posting comments on YouTube videos isn't either.  There has to be something...
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

bren4q

Well those statistics are purely about Classic. It is not that we can't get players who go to other servers, it is that people simply aren't playing Classic as much any more. We can't make people play a game. It is just on the downward slope phase of popularity now. Perhaps if it is still around in 5 years Classic will get a revival for a new generation, but right now it is trending downwards.

Classic used to bring a lot of players to these servers, and they would often buy/join Retail as a result. So Retail loses out too. I wonder what the ratio of the current active players is for those who first joined through Classic versus those who first joined Retail. I'd guess 10:1 (Classic:Retail)
Surplus to requirements

Skitty

is2 since the email update has seen alot of activity. albeit most of it grief. not many builders these days.

is1 is no longer supported. i will keep it up however since the commands and what not do not carry over. i just wish mcforge was updated to work with emails before they stopped supporting it.

Shoot for the moon. And if you miss....You'll die horribly in space.

bren4q

Quote from: Skitty on April 16, 2013, 12:49:10 PM
i just wish mcforge was updated to work with emails before they stopped supporting it.
Uh, didn't they already do that months ago? They were one of the first ones to support email logins. I remember reading about it, how they use the person's name before the '@' and then append some random numbers after it, so "[email protected]" would become "joe_bloggs2353" in the game.

That's what I had read at least. Maybe it never got implemented, or maybe it got removed if it was buggy.
Looks like it was done, according to this.
https://github.com/MCForge/MCForge-MCLawl/issues/22

And this:
Changelog v5.5.8
-Fixes:
  -Mojang Accounts can now log in, the username used is the email username + a UID
Surplus to requirements