Grammar and its Proper Usage.

Started by Krawkyz, October 23, 2012, 04:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juwayyid

And yet, none could survive this catastrophe...

/ \
|
|

I may be wrong, but is this even correct?  Can you use "and yet" like that?  Wouldn't it just be "yet none could survive..."

I'm not sure the sentence can even exist if nobody survived the catastrophe to say it.  The speaker is speaking of "this" catastrophe.  He would have to be a ghost or something, as he seems to be speaking in present tense...
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

jwirth

really now? You all have to remember a lot of minecraft players are kids so most don't have great grammar now me on the other hand, I'm just to damn lazy to use it because I don't need to in a social site. Now if I was writing an essay that's a different story.
Those that don't know pain can never know true peace!

thealex447

Its not about having perfect grammar, its about getting your point across. If people mix up "there" and "their" often, as well as never using punctuation, it is difficult to figure out what they actually wrote.

Jwirth, although your grammar isn't perfect, I was able to read what you wrote with ease. That is the goal.

jwirth

I can understand some of it but still, it's kinda annoying.
Those that don't know pain can never know true peace!

Kidd2000

I'm pretty sure all of us are in high school at the least. So we should all know how to spell and use graham crackers properly.

Glenn

Quote from: Juwayyid on October 23, 2012, 05:37:10 PM
You're better than Haze Glenn...

I know that juw, but I just wanna point out that not everyone here knows how to use English grammar right..
NULLUS LIMES LEONI
No limits for the lion!
Currently studying Digital Arts & Entertainment at Howest, specifically Game Development.

Skitty

i just dont cap the first letter in my sentences. :D nor do i use ' in certain words ie dont. but sometimes i do; only when i want to feel classy.

Shoot for the moon. And if you miss....You'll die horribly in space.

Mister_Survival

I am in 7th grade,thank you very much

And irony just described what you might be feeling that a 7th grader corrected your paragraph ;D
I know i am young, but i might as well have fun with it.

Krawkyz

You didn't correct him - you pointed out he spelled something wrong. That's not correcting, that's telling them they're wrong, which isn't constructive.
By the way guys, this topic isn't about a super strict rule: I'm just explaining that you need to at least understand and use some of these concepts so we can understand you.
Notice I just used dashes and colons; some punctuation can be used in a similar manner and convey the same feeling.

Jaysers

I can confidently say that this post is going to be one of the least heeded forum topic.
"To regret is to make an experience that of suffering. I do not regret the time spent, but rather wish it was spent on something else."

BananaSquats

@Mister: I think Kenyor misspelled those words on purpose, as it is called sarcasm......  T_T

Kenyor

EliteBuilder
I'm a picker, I'm a grinner, I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Jaysers

Quote from: Mister_Survival on October 24, 2012, 08:25:22 PM
And irony just described what you might be feeling that a 7th grader corrected your paragraph ;D

Though very commonly misused, that is not the correct way to use irony :). Irony, indepth, is more complicated than the common understandment of that term. For example, the phrase: "dying in the living room". may seem ironic. However, that is not the correct way to use irony.

There are several forms of irony, but let's break down to the simplest forms of irony. Verbal irony and situational irony.The most common form of irony is sarcasm, which is an example of verbal irony. When you use sarcasm, what you say is the exact opposite of what you intended. If you say to someone, "You're a genius" while implicitly (this is a whole different lesson), you meant to say that the person was actually stupid.
Now let's look at Kenyor's post and what he typed. While he does approve of Krawkyz's fanatic post about grammar, though, as Banana said, he is typing that in a sarcastic manner. It's obvious that he typed what he said in almost gibberish, but what he intended was the complete opposite of how he typed it.

Now let's look at your way of irony, which is supposed to be a situational irony. Just because someone at a younger age corrected someone who is older, that is not exactly ironic. People make errors all the time, and correcting someone is not ironic. The more correct way of using irony, in this case situational irony, is when an action is taken to have an certain effect on something, but it completely does the opposite. For example, a doctor undergoes a procedure in order to save a patient's life, but what happens as a result is the patient dies BECAUSE of the doctor's action. THAT is situational irony. Another example of situational irony can be found when the government creates a plan that will decrease unemployment. When the government puts that plan into action, they expected unemployment rate to drop. What actually happened is that unemployment rate increased BECAUSE of that direct action taken by the government.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is today's lecture on: Irony
For more information of today's lesson, please go to uuu.thisisnotarealsite.milk
"To regret is to make an experience that of suffering. I do not regret the time spent, but rather wish it was spent on something else."

Skittlez

I'm not sure how this is even an issue, there is spell check built into the forum, just review your post before submitting. Regardless, good rule, but perhaps a temp ban is a bit much, maybe we should go for public humiliation? Or public flogging?
Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.