(Make your own) Story!

Started by Jaysers, April 24, 2013, 03:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaysers

They shall be revealed in the next chapter, which is still undergoing progress.

Again, I emphasize that you may or may not enjoy how you are depicted if you are in the story.
"To regret is to make an experience that of suffering. I do not regret the time spent, but rather wish it was spent on something else."

Juwayyid

No one should have any reason to complain.  This is a very cool and well thought out idea you have going here, making what was our awesome experience all the more awesome!  Write us how the story needs us.  Be it the good hero or the sniveling rat. (Or something more original than either hopefully!   ;) )

As for the writing, heh...  It's overly wordy sometimes and I get to skimming rather than reading everything word for word.  But it's very detailed and envisioning the atmosphere and setting is easy.

Overall the only problem I had was Portsmouth having Gaurds!!  Of all the towns we've conquered Portsmouth surely didn't seem like one that would have Gaurds! Haha! 
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

Jaysers

Lol that's true about Portsmouth. But in my story, the towns, in fact the whole map, are going to be a lot larger in scale. Day and night times will be like real life time, Distances will be much further, and everyone will only be able to carry even less than they could in MineZ. I don't want to spoil too much so I'll keep it at that.

Overall, I'm trying to keep this story as "realistic" as possible (.. well as realistic a fantasy story can get). This way, the story becomes much more dramatic and survival is even more difficult.
Don't underestimate the town guard btw, I haven't got to detailing the characters yet, so you might be surprised!

Just a warning. There WILL be character deaths. Once someone dies, they're gone. shizz just got real
"To regret is to make an experience that of suffering. I do not regret the time spent, but rather wish it was spent on something else."

haze_storm15

Bump Bump Bump Jayser story is amazing Bump

Jaysers

Warning: Very unrefined. Like last one.

Chapter 1.5 - The Gathering

The Docks - Seafarer, burly man, town guard: 3 hours after pandemic started
"These things are getting annoying." Said the burly man as he hefted his double-headed axe from a man he just cleaved. The other two he was with were fatigued from the constant running, dodging, and killing they had been doing for the past few hours or so. He, on the other hand, was fine, given the circumstances. He was an experienced warrior, born of a tribe that was never in peace. Growing up, he endured harsh livings to survive. The constant fighting was nothing new to him. His comrades were not as enduring as he was, however. During their brief encounters, they've learned that the beings were mainly attracted by sound and had fairly poor eyesight, much like a snake. Not only that, but they witnessed first hand a dead person turning into an infected, walking being. One instance had the dead simply standing back up, others had violent seizures that looked almost comical, if it wasn't for the circumstances. Currently, they were resting near the docks since there were less of the changed humans around the area and by the time they arrived, they were breathing heavily. They would've been able to travel further if it wasn't for the seafarer who wasn't used to being on land yet since he came just a day before.

"Just.. give me a moment to stretch these land legs." Said the seafarer. Their original plan was to come to the docks and climb aboard his ship, only to find it plundered and disabled. The crew was still aboard, though not in the state the trio wished to interact with, seeing how they were also infected.

The town guard who accompanied them was constantly on alert. "Well, we can't stay here for long. In a bit, we need to try to find a place to secure and hold up for a bit." The seafarer let out a long-suffering sigh, while the other simply grunted in agreement. Not far from them, they saw a barn that seemed to be abandoned and even better was that there weren't many of those new beings around. They quickly made haste to the barn, with the axeman kicking the door they approached.

The Barn - Rider, Armored Man: Less than 3 hours since pandemic started
They've been fighting non-stop for the past few hours, trying to help as many people as they could. From the church, they did what they could with the few remaining people that were alive by clearing dangerous paths and healing wounds. In the end though, they realized the town was lost and tried to evacuate from the area.

On their way out, they came across a few survivors trying to steal from others. Currently, there were three men armed with swords and daggers threatening a family. With haste, the rider and armored man came to the family's defense. The fight was brief, but intense. The rider let loose an arrow he had nocked, which embedded itself deep into one of the thug's arms. The three thugs turned to face the new threat, giving the family time to run away. Being close up, the rider had to put away his bow and pull out his heavy dagger. The thug with the arrow in him arm came charging at him with a short sword. The rider easily parried, but was caught off guard at the speed of the thug, who quickly recuperated and slashed the rider down his left side of his face. The rider staggered away, trying to regain vision with the blood entering his eye. The thug, seeing an opportunity, approached the rider to deal the finishing blow, lowering his guard. The rider wasn't finished that easily, and sidestepped from the overhead swipe, tripping the thug as he did so. Losing balance, the thug had little chance to counter the rider, who drove the dagger into the thug's back. The armored man, with the advantage of a shield and longsword, faced little difficulty dealing with the remaining two thugs. However, he was more than exhausted from his time spent at the church. When the threat was taken care of, the two injured and exhausted men staggered their way into the nearest building and close the door behind them.

The adrenaline was leaving their bodies, and the rider started to feel the pain from his facial wound. The armored man noticed the injury and without saying a word, removed one of his gloves and placed a hand on the rider's face, speaking a quiet incantation. The pain subsided from the rider's face, and the armored man quickly bandaged it. A look of shock and confusion was apparent on the face of the rider but before he could ask, the armored man simply on one of the wood column frames of the barn and passed out.

The Barn - All parties involved - 3 hours after pandemic started
One of the barn doors abruptly opened, causing the rider to instantly load his bow and aim it at the new possible threat. Three armed figures entered the view, brandishing their weapons. Both sides eyed on another for what seemed like an eternity, until the one of them spoke.

"Oh thank the maker. These blokes aren't infected." The seafarer said as he slowly sat down on a stable fence, hissing from his sore muscles as he leaned against it. Everyone visibly relaxed after that, but the rider's eye remained vigilant in case of anything. When everyone settled down, the town guard noticed the heavily armored man.

"What's with him?" Gesturing to the unconscious man. The rider looked at him warily, then spoke.

"Passed out. Probably from exhaustion." The town guard nodded, then walked to the door of the barn and started to barricade it. Meanwhile, the seafarer pulled out a small canteen.

"So, what are your stories?" The rider asked. The seafarer took a sip, then handed the rider the canteen, which he accepted. He then started to talk about what he and the two others did since the pandemic started. Once he finished, the rider started his own story regarding him and the armored man. The seafarer nodded after listening and held out his hand. "I'm Krow, by the way," though he pronounced it as you would pronounce "saw".

The rider grasped the hand, shaking it. "Butler." announcing himself.

The town guard introduce himself, after. "Justin Jennyson Juwayyid, but Juw's fine. Formalities seem to have little use here." Everyone then looked at the burly man, who was sharpening his axe. He noticed their silence which indicated they were waiting for him, and paused his work. After pondering for a little bit, he spoke.

"I'm called Haze." Everyone nodded and followed Kraw's example of resting from their taxing day. After a while, Haze finally finished sharpening his axe and leaned it against the wall, unwittingly activating and creating a reaction. The walls groaned, strange clinks were heard, and the barn slightly shook. Everyone fumbled to prepare their weapons to face this new and strange situation. Except for the armored man, who was still asleep from his endeavors. When things settled down, there was an opening in the ground that led into a short, dark hallway.

The group slowly approached the hallway and saw a faint light emitting from the end, which rounded into a corner. When they reached the bend, they entered a bright room filled with bizarre contraptions, balances and weights, a strange brewing device, and a man working with beakers filled with faintly glowing substances. They simply stared at the man, who seemed to be ignorant of their presence until he turned around and saw a bloody group of people brandishing their weapons with confused looks on their faces.

"Well good afternoon to you too." The man said, and smiled.

When things settled down, the group explained what was happening around them while the man sat silently, nodding every now and then. When they finished, the man stood.

"This is all so fascinating!" He exclaimed, not noticing the shocked looks on everyone's face. He paused and stated "The name's Sifitis, by the way. But Sif is perfectly suitable. It's a pleasure meeting you gentleman." Everyone introduced themselves shortly. They stood in silence while the scientist seemed rather... Excited of the events that was happening. Nonetheless, he understood the seriousness of the matter at hand, and immediately prepared himself. He walked to a corner of the room that had several strangely sewn fabrics and handed each man one.

"These are one of my most excellent invention: They are packs you can carry easily on your backs. I call them, Backpacks! I planned to make a fortune by mass-producing and selling them, but that seems a bit pointless now, from what you folks told me." He showed everyone how it worked and how to correctly wear it. In his own, he added several devices and filled beakers. When he finished, he was about to head out when Butler spoke up.

"Ah, I forgot to mention, we have another member with us." said Butler. He pointed a thumb at the exit. "He's passed out near the entrance, probably from exhaustion." Sifitis nodded, then picked up another backpack from the corner, handing it to Butler.

"Well then," Sif started, "Let's wake our friend up, shall we?" and headed for the exit.

The first thing he noticed was a strong, pungent smell. He woke with a start- groaning and covering his nose. When he opened his eyes, there was a man with a small flask held up to his face. Then he noticed there were four other men with him, that wounded rider being one of them. The man in front of him smiled.

"Welcome back!" The man almost shouted.

He scooted back away from them, trying to pull out his weapon that wasn't there. The rider held up his hands, showing him he had it.

"Relax. We're all friends here." He slowly handed him back his sword and he held it for a minute, then sheathed it.

"Well, seems that you haven't lost it after all!" The man with the flask said. He held out his hand. "M'name's Sifitis though if you prefer, Sif." He grasped his hand. "And you are?"

"Jay's fine." And shook. He looked at the others around him, the unspoken question apparent on his face. Everyone else introduced themselves, again, for the third time. He nodded after learning them. The rider - Butler he recalled, handed him a strangely sewn fabric. Jay stared at it confused, and Butler sighed.

"Lemme explain..."

After everyone fully recuperated, and an extensive lecture of how this... "Backpack" worked, Juw spoke up.

"Now that we're rested, I think it's time we start heading out. Things sound like they quieted down a bit, so we can assume everyone's either dead or un-dead. We should pick up supplies from the town while we can and head out as soon as possible." The group agreed. The plan sounded logical, and as cold-hearted it may seem, their main priority is their own safety and self-protection.

Everyone stood and prepped their weapons. Things may seem quiet now, but they all knew how quickly things can- will, go wrong. Juw opened the door slowly and one by one, they headed out into the apocalypse...

---------------

A/N: WOO! Finally finished Chapter 1. Got to all the characters as well.

There are some confusing parts of the story, but fear not. They shall all (mostly) be explained on the next chapter, which will have much more story and action to it compared to the first. Now that the introductions are over with, onto the real adventure!

I broke the story into several "phases". Each phase will go over our major adventures while having some plot to it.
So an example would be Phase 1 will cover our early endeavors, such as getting to Grimsdale, Desert Outpost, and other early locations. Phase 1's central focus will be resource gathering and trying to find out where to head next, while also going over each person's "specialty" in the group.

So, SO FAR WE HAVE:

Rider - Butlerbandit
Armored Man - Jaysers
Burly Man/Axeman - Haze_storm15
Seafarer - Krawkyz
Town Guard - Juwayyid
Scientist/innovator - Sifitis

If you're somewhat disappointed you didn't appear yet, don't fret too much. There might be a chance you may appear in the later chapters.

Everyone's roles will be covered at some point in the next chapter, and I've made sure no role is more important than another. One person's skill could be useful one moment, then utterly pointless in another.

Emperor_Quimby

Release this on Deviantart please :D that would be great to hear others opinions about the story!

sifitis

Jaysers

Short story for funz and entertainment while I try to write chapter 2.

Science, it's good for you

"I wouldn't drink that if I were ye" Said Kraw. Glenn paused from refilling his water, with an annoyed look on his face.

"Can't help to be thirsty." He remarked. A hearty laugh was heard behind him.

"He's right, ya know," Haze said he passed by him. "saltwater ain't much better for ya thirst than lean, fat free meat is for ya hunger." Glenn just scowled. Still slightly confused, he continued to refill his water when another voice interrupted him.

"Applying saltwater to a wound is just as bad. I suggest staying away from it." Said the cleric. Frustrated, Glenn tried to ignore everyone. When his canteen was nearly fully refilled, he heard mumblings beside him.

"Mm. No. Bad. Saltwater disrupts the water balance in a body. Cells don't like that. They want to stay in equilibrium so the water diffuses out of them, causing the cells to shrink. Essentially they shrivel up and become nearly useless. Have you ever tried applying salt to a slug? Very exciting. Highly recommend it. Saltwater takes out more water from your body, making you more thirsty. Never ending cycle. Fat is good for you, despite what everyone says. Eating only protein is bad. Fat is a very good source of nutrients. Protein is good, but with nothing else makes protein byproducts bad for health. Cuts are bad for health as well. Saltwater is worse on cuts. Causes irritations and kills cells. Helps spread infection for bacteria. Helps clot, yes, but not worth the infection."
Sifitis just stood there after his statement, unfocused eyes viewing the ocean. Glenn stared at him with worried eyes, then looked at his filled canteen. The movement seemed to get the scientist out of his daydreams, since he stared at the canteen as well. "May I have a sip?" He asked.

bb25565

I have a short horror story for you.

"The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock on the door..."
-Fredric Brown
Fawkes
\(^~^)/  I have voted myself fabulous.

Jaysers

-GASP- IT WAS A WOMAN! She came back to take the dog!

Emperor_Quimby

Shorter Horror story

The reflection in the mirror smiled back
-Fuck you Fredric Brown

bb25565

Fawkes
\(^~^)/  I have voted myself fabulous.

Juwayyid

Minez - Going North

Talked with Jaysers a little about his story and we decided it would be fun to tell our same adventure in two different ways. 

Now Jay has made some spectacular work with his detailing and character introducing.  Mine is definitely far weaker.  I am also not writing this to compete with Jay, just to tell the same story and compare.  So without further ado, here it is.

Going North
-Chapter 1: Arrival

A cool wind fills the air, even though its the desert.  The sun is low, slowing going orange.  All is silent except for the sandy crunch of footsteps dragging across the desert.  Some one covered in filth and rags staggers towards a small group of buildings.  He pauses, gazing through an opening of some cloth wrapped around his head.  The buildings ahead are still, empty.
   Suddenly the man falls to his knees, clutching at his stomach.  He moans in agony and rolls over onto his back.  The cloth around his head falls off and his eyes are clearly visible now.  They are red.  Completely red.  Crusted over, exhausted.  He lays on the hard ground, watching the setting sun, the last he may ever see.  This man has seen hell.

Somewhere else in the desert, two men walk down an empty path.  The path is rough and uneven, made of stone and gravel.  One of these men wears that of a royal knight.  A white cover bearing a black cross over full body chain mail.  A helmet that covers the entirety of his face.  But his eyes tell his story.  A deep gash across his mask and an eye red while the other is blue.  This knight has been to battle, and has endured his share of pain.

The other man, wearing all green and carrying a bow slung over his shoulder, also bears battle damage.  An eye patch covers whatever is left of his left eye. 

Though both have seen their fair share of pain, neither is in discomfort now.  The knight retells stories of one of the wildest victory celebrations he had ever attended and the archer laughs.  Both are high in spirit as they walk into the oncoming night.

As the sun finally sets out of view the two take a rest on a large boulder just off the path.  They settle down and the archer digs through his belongings. 

"Hmph.  I'm running a bit low on grub here.  Have you got enough to make this trip?" he asks.

The knight turns to his own belongings and begins to search through them. 

"I appear to be running low as well."

The archer looks up to the road.  A figure faint in the distance.  The archer turns back to the knight.

"Let's hope master Sifitis has something to spare.  I don't see us making it to the port in our current circumstance."

The knight nods.  They both pack their belongings back up.  The figure in the distance is closer now, frozen.

The knight and archer get up and head back down the path, however, the archer draws an arrow back in his bow.

"Do you see something?" The knight asks.

"I did," the archer replies, "But I don't anymore.  He's hiding."

"He?" asks the knight.

They walk down the the path slowly, watching all sides as they go.  As they approach some shrubbery and an old abandoned post, the archer stops.

He says aloud, "Alright, we know you're back there.  Come out slow and state your devious business!"

Slowly, out from behind the post, a scrawny, scraggly fellow walks out.  He wears a white mask with a blank face painted on it.  He has no clothes on other than shaggy red shorts.  He walks out onto the path, hands behind his back and head lowered down.

The archer has his arrow pointed on the man's head

"Well?" the archer asks.

The stranger is quite, nodding his head subtly. 

"Good sir, you appear in need of some assistance." the knight states.  "Can we help you in any way?"

The knight approaches the man and the archer lowers his weapon.  Just as the knight is about to place a hand on the man's shoulder, the man swipes at the knight with a knife.  The knight manages to avoid being cut and draws a wooden sword.  He holds it defensively.  The man is hunched over, ready to lunge.

"I say!  We only wanted to help you sir!" The knight remarks. 

The man lunges again only to fall short with an arrow in his head.  He hits the ground and twitches rapidly.

The archer lowers his bow and the two watch the body squirm.

"What is causing such a ghastly behavior of a dead body?" asks the knight.

The man begins to foam at the mouth and comes to a slow stop.  The archer studies the body.  It turns green and skeletal all in a moment.

"There is a sickness in this man." the archer points out, "Don't touch him.  We best get to the outpost."

"This path is supposed to be a safe one," the knight responds, "what would attract bandits?"

The archer's one eye remains on the body.

"Something we are not quite prepared for.  Come now, the night is not safe."

The two leave the body and continue down the road.  Slowly, from behind the abandoned post and shrubbery, two more figures poke their heads out, watching the archer and knight continue down the road.

Meanwhile, two more men are sailing into port on a small, dinky ship.  One is casually dressed in a brown coat.  His face is burnt and one eye is robotic.  A cyborg of sorts.  The other man wears the mask of a monster and a matching green suit of samurai-style armor. 
As the two finish tying down their boat, another man walks up to them down the pier.  This man wears a full body suit, a super hero of sorts, red and black.  He greets the sailors;

"About time you showed up!  Jeeze, do you have any idea how bored I've been?"

"What, you don't enjoy the cool breeze of the ocean and the variety of folk to meet around here?" asks the Cyborg.

"Nah, I don't trust any of them.  Portsmouth is full of assholes looking to con you wherever they can."

The Samurai steps down off the ship and looks about the town.  It's a shabby place.  Run down and dirty.  A small church with a flame burning in a lantern is seen in a clearing, probably the town's square.  A large house of some sort dominates the view over multiple small market stands and buildings.  A farm house to the east and rows of docks to the west.  All is still.

"Doesn't look like anybody's going to try to con you here.  There's nobody around!"

The Hero and the Cyborg both look into town.

They all turn and look at each other blankly.

The moon is high behind dark clouds now.  The three take refuge in the haystacks of the barn.  The Cyborg lays back, fiddling with some hay while the Samurai and Hero stand guard at the door, discussing something with great concern.

"You think going that far North is honestly a good idea?" asks the Samurai.

"Look, Yangton Abbey is the place to be right now," the Hero responds, "we can't keep living on scraps like this.  We could find work up there near the lumber yards and maybe find a place to invest in."

"Everyone I hear talking about the North only has bad things to say.  Nothing but trouble up there.  I say we keep to the waters, sailing from town to town and just keep up like we are.  I mean, Butlerbandit and Sifitis are on their way with a royal knight!  He could get us into places."

"All I'm saying is," the Hero continues, "we will get tired of that lifestyle.  If we just come into some money we could settle down.  Start living our lives.  Damn, we never should have left Romero."

Heavy footsteps are heard from behind the barn, no, along side the barn, running into town!  Someone runs right by the Samurai and Hero and into the square, banging at the church door.

"Huh, whats his deal!?" the Samurai asks.

But it doesn't take long to find out.  Five figures come chasing after him.  They look like men in the dim moonlight, but they don't move like men.  They trip and stumble over each other, each focused on one thing.  The man banging on the church door. 

The Samurai and Hero take alarm, each drawing wooden swords.  The Cyborg pokes his head up to see what the fuss is.

"Is something up?" he asks.

"Maybe," the Samurai says concernedly. 

The Samurai and Hero leave their post and chase after the mob in town.  They reach the square and see the mob of figures all hunched over the running man, ripping and tearing apart his body.

"You monsters!" the Hero exclaims! "What are you doing to that man!"

One of the mob turns slowly towards the Hero.  He stares for a moment, then lunges at a high speed straight at the Hero.  The Hero swings his sword up and takes off the attacker's arm.  But it's not enough to stop the attack.  The attacker takes the Hero to the ground.

Now the Hero gets a good look at the attacker.  It is no man.  It's skin is green, rotten and decaying.  It's skeleton is prominently visible under the skin.  Little hair remains on it's head and a few of it's teeth are missing.  The Hero notices the teeth specifically because...  This monster is chomping at the Hero's neck.

The Hero's struggles to keep the monster off, but his defense is slowly falling.  The Samurai is in shock at the hole situation, watching as one man is ripped apart while at the same time his friend is about to suffer a similar fate. 

Back in the barn, the Cyborg watches as well, shaking his head in disbelief and turning his attention to the Samurai. 

"KRAW!" the Cyborg screams! 

The Samurai snaps out of it.  He takes up his sword and dives straight into the monster, impaling it under the arm and up through the back.  The monster instantly switches it;s focus from the Hero to Kraw the Samurai.  Even with a sword through it's body the monster squirms and struggles to get to Kraw.

Kraw withdraws his sword from the monster's body and begins to slash down at it's neck.  Slice!  The monster flips out in rage and charges at Kraw's legs.  Slice!  The monster's neck hangs off it's body as it reaches Kraw's legs and knocks him over.  Slice!  The monster's head rolls across the ground as red blood spews from it's shoulders, drenching Kraw in the filth. 

"RUN!"

A call from the barn.  The Cyborg urgently waves to his friends to return to the barn.  Kraw looks to the bar and is suddenly lifted to his feat.  The Hero has picked him up and is getting him on his feat.  Behind them, the mob has finished with the running man and are now each turning their focus on the Samurai and Hero.

The Samurai and Hero look to the mob, then to each other.  They gulp.
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

Jaysers

Haha! This is pretty awesome! This is more true to our actual selves than mine. I can imagine some of the aspects that will go into the story as well.

Looking forward to additional chapters!

Emperor_Quimby

I should make a comic about this.