Building a Spawn (For Creative!)

Started by Juwayyid, July 03, 2013, 02:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juwayyid

So most of you know that we are working on a new spawn and spawn system that would be much more appealing and accommodating towards guests.  Regardless of whatever spawn style or build we end up going with, I am trying to figure out how information passed onto guests would most effectively be given.

So in the current Spawn project under construction, we start in a room like this.

From this room you travel down a hall that will have open windows and displays that will relay the important stuff in a simple, fun, adventuremap-like way.  You will be tested in a way on what you learn, similar to the way Disney Creative has their spawn set up.  Easy questions, yet ours will be a bit more helpful concerning /sethomes and warps and plot owning and so on.

So through this room we need to figure out what the first display will be and what bit of information will be revealed.  Remember that it is important to get the info out to the player while having some sort of impressive, living gimmick to go along with it.

After being introduced to the server by a gigantic eyeball, what should the first bit of information be delivered next?
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

pusur44017

Nice!, I think maybe the PvP bit with locks for chests and the price for one!!! and then protection stones and then tell them how many PS's per rank and then fade into the applying bit. and then tell them they can make a shop, how to, and about the pier. Oh and The price for making a shop!!!!! and lastly the rules and make a section for donateing to reveiw if they want to. Thats my 2 cents

-pusur

Just continue to scroll and don't care about the text above

Jahona

Pusur it's the creative server not the survival.
Step into the prehistoric era and come face to face with some of the greatest animals to ever walk the Earth!

thealex447

Since a question/test would require guest permissions to change, we should get rid of forum based builder applications and let the guests build in a grid world. They can be ranked based on quality and effort.

Juwayyid

The plan is to let them build without applying on the grid world, but I think they will still apply for builder on the forums, perhaps similarly to classic, using their builds to rank up.

(maybe we would create builder ranks?)

Anyway, what I'm asking is...

What is the most effective or important piece of information that should be delivered to new players first, before anything else?
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

bren4q

Quote from: Juwayyid on July 03, 2013, 10:51:02 AM
What is the most effective or important piece of information that should be delivered to new players first, before anything else?
That depends entirely on how the server is going to be setup and what abilities new joiners will have.
A new joiner will want to know some of the following things:

- Can I start building? What do I have to do before I can build?
- Where can I build? How can I get there?
- Is griefing allowed?
- What commands are available to me?
- What plugins are installed?
- Are there ranks? How can I rank up?
- Will my builds be safe?
- Where can I find more information about this server?
- Can I be Op?

Less frequently asked questions:
- Is there a map of the world I can see?
- I see chat from people that don't appear online. Where are they?
Surplus to requirements

Juwayyid

Just what I needed.  Thanks a ton Bren.

Darth, mind explaining how the guest plot map works again?  I just want to be sure I don't miss anything.  They will be able to type *command* to get their own plot and start building off the bat without needing to apply, correct?

Also, I think Bren hit all the basic and frequently asked questions to clear up, so if you see one he has missed, let us know!

Jahona

Quote from: bren4q on July 03, 2013, 12:47:24 PM
That depends entirely on how the server is going to be setup and what abilities new joiners will have.
A new joiner will want to know some of the following things:

The current idea is that all new players spawn at this "new" spawn.  From their they are given the info on how the server works and the organization behind it.

I've set up PlotMe and the coordinated map to go along with it.  In theory once they get the basic server info they can push a button that will auto force them to run /plotme auto.  In which case they will be taken to a 126x126 plot were they can build to their hearts content.  Requesting build rights gets them the ability to move away from the plots and to any of the other maps.  They can continue building on there plot or claim a second one.

Guest - Can build on the GuestMap only.  Can not travel to other maps.
Builder - Can move and build between all maps.
ViP - World Edit and maybe Voxel Sniper

We can reorganize the ranks if need be.
Step into the prehistoric era and come face to face with some of the greatest animals to ever walk the Earth!

Juwayyid

Ranks are fine as is unless we decide we want to start ranking like we do on classic based off skill level.  As things are now, with barely any traffic even still, the current ranking system is best for our small group.

Juwayyid

Old topic, but as an even newer new spawn is on a steady path to completion, I'm looking for any volunteers to help in certain areas. 

In this spawn there are sections you can explore to learn what each rank is, how to rank up, and what to do with your rank.  For the ranks that require build submissions I am organizing a little display showing examples of builds that would merit the rank up. 

So at this moment I am looking for any volunteers to build an example build for display.  These will be builds used to rank up to what we have decided as being the Pro Builder rank.  This rank gives you access to all worlds as well as World Edit at a 400 block limit.

If you think you have an idea of what a build to deserve this rank should look like, come to creative and /warp spawnbuild.  Find an open area and build!

This is a fantastic opportunity to take an active role in the community, so don't miss the chance!

Juwayyid

Big thanks to Kesteve for being a big help and jumping up to help the cause! 

Juwayyid

Update:  spawn work was halted as I became quite busy at the place I work, however after this weekend my schedule should clear up, so hopefully then I, or WE, can finish up the spawn and hopefully get those new ranks set in place!

Daemon202

I personally think you should add who is op so they know who to go to for putting commands in command blocks (ect)

Daemon202  :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :'( lol all faces ;P

winner321

What we could do for said ranking system is kind of like what the voxelbox does. We can have an unranked grid world in which the guests are to build and get ranked. Then once they are ranked there are a multitude of other worlds, maybe themed or maybe not, and let them go out there with some limitations on based on their rank.
Thirty-six pages of unread messages.
Two hundred fifty-one unread emails.
Six hundred eighty unread spam emails.
Now what would you do about this?

Juwayyid

Thats actually already the plan Winner!  Check this thread for more details - http://www.insomniacservers.com/index.php/topic,1710.15.html

We laid out each rank and their permissions.  Pretty similar to what you mentioned!