logo redesign

Started by Skitty, September 10, 2013, 01:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skitty

... gee thanks for the helpful insight it really gives me an idea other then what we already have.... its called rebranding.

Shoot for the moon. And if you miss....You'll die horribly in space.

Thrash393

I like the first one on the fourth page with the swirly O, but i could see any of these as our logo.

The logo with the crown I want on a t-shirt id buy that
QuoteThey found a glowing hole containing vast amounts of redstone technology. It would be thrashes and kraws secret redstone area. They had it on the border for fear they'd be griefed or messed with. (since these machines would take days tto make (with thier kind of work ethic (speaking for thrash(kinda kraw(mostly thrash)))))

Its A Giant Ass Calculator. That's the name: The A Giant Ass Calculator

Skitty

these are not finite logos and i think thats what everybody thinks that these are final. they are not. its step one in many steps for the final design. brett and myself knows this i was just running this by people.

Dupple

I understand that these are not the finalized forms of the logo ideas, but I felt like sharing the vibes I get from each.

Going in chronological order of the pdf:
1. - Reminds me of a cigarette at first glance
    - The moon "C" does not seem to fit (But I know what they were trying to do with it, I have tried myself)
2. - Looks nice yes, but I don't believe it fits what our website/community is about. (However, that is not up to me to define)
3. - Looks like something we could stamp our future products with.
4. - Looks like a T-shirt or clothing brand logo.
5. - I am not sure what the emphasis on the "IN" part is exactly.
6. - Looks crisp.
7. - Looks like a word search or slider puzzle
    - I found myself trying to combine the letters looking for other meanings.
    - (Plus there is a slight tendency to read up and down before reading left to right, especially due to the thin column separating red lines)
8. - Letter placement feels awkward (Not sure if going for sounding out the syllables or just for spacing consistency)
9. - Most visually aesthetic looking logo out of this set.
    - I am not quite sure what the rose would stand for but it seems a bit prominent.
    - I would also remove the grey block above the second "I." (Redundancy issue)
10. -  Lesser version of #9
11. -  Bloodshot splatter is not really "us," plus it is seemingly advocating games with violence only. Our servers are not just about fps games, Cube World and Minecraft being at least two to name.
12. - Looks like the typewriter title of a confidential file, not exactly a logo, more of a stamp if anything, like #3.
13. - Nothing particular to note about this one, except that I dislike it in general.
14. - Looks like a loading bar, again with emphasis on "IN," seems rather static for some reason.
15. - Looks like a "Private Eye" logo, and as far as I know we do not specialize in sleuthing services.

Assuming a visual style is settled upon, the second question to be asked is regarding the name itself. Should the logo read, "Insomniac Servers" since more than one type of server is being hosted. Should it read plainly "Insomniac" or "Insomniacs" so as to not narrow down our services to hosting servers only(if for some reason we expand to broader horizons), or perhaps a combination of both or whatever rolls off the tongue better. Perhaps something short and sweet as an emblem. Ex. "IS."

To summarize, my preferred choices for visual style from this given set would be #9, followed by #6. However, I agree with what some of the other members are saying, about having some kind of relevance to the title. The visual styles could use any word or phrase and still look just as good. It would be nice to have something representing "us."

I had my own idea for the logo back when Juw, sif, Butler, and I were working on the sign for the new spawn of the creative world. It would feature the same style of font. From there, there could be at least two choices. First, would be similar to the old Neversoft title intros, with a blank eyeball staring straight ahead (and occasionally darting around), or the classic Insomniac half closed design (with occasional blinking) with potential candlelight flickering animations. (Visual depictions in the link provided below)

http://imgur.com/a/fIilG#0

If my post is filled with too much ignorance or naivety then please by all means ignore it.
These are my 2 cents on the discussion thus far.

EDIT: I should have read the previous replies detail rather than skim over to get the gist. I agree with Butler and bren regarding the eye expression. I have done some 5 second googling to look at what others have done in the past, and found some potential ideas for inside the font, that could also be used as a trademark emblem.

http://newevolutiondesigns.com/images/previews/10-eye-inspired-logo-designs.jpg
http://www.posterdistrict.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/c685eba2acd8b922f5ab8b86_533x800.jpg
http://th05.deviantart.net/fs70/150/f/2013/151/f/e/eyeball_by_schweitzerfx-d67c83h.png [I could not find a bigger version of this picture, so my sincerest apologies.]

**Bias: I am a sucker for minimalistic simple art, especially two tone type works.

Emperor_Quimby

None of these Logo ideas is good enough it think, except for number 6, number 6 is pimp!

But what ever we end up making, we can all agree on we are going to keep the eye. My adventure map is build on that eye (btw it's soon done.) all we can change is the slender letters or making a cool background to it.

Skitty

Quote from: Dupple on September 18, 2013, 01:42:35 AM
I understand that these are not the finalized forms of the logo ideas, but I felt like sharing the vibes I get from each.

Going in chronological order of the pdf:
1. - Reminds me of a cigarette at first glance
    - The moon "C" does not seem to fit (But I know what they were trying to do with it, I have tried myself)
2. - Looks nice yes, but I don't believe it fits what our website/community is about. (However, that is not up to me to define)
3. - Looks like something we could stamp our future products with.
4. - Looks like a T-shirt or clothing brand logo.
5. - I am not sure what the emphasis on the "IN" part is exactly.
6. - Looks crisp.
7. - Looks like a word search or slider puzzle
    - I found myself trying to combine the letters looking for other meanings.
    - (Plus there is a slight tendency to read up and down before reading left to right, especially due to the thin column separating red lines)
8. - Letter placement feels awkward (Not sure if going for sounding out the syllables or just for spacing consistency)
9. - Most visually aesthetic looking logo out of this set.
    - I am not quite sure what the rose would stand for but it seems a bit prominent.
    - I would also remove the grey block above the second "I." (Redundancy issue)
10. -  Lesser version of #9
11. -  Bloodshot splatter is not really "us," plus it is seemingly advocating games with violence only. Our servers are not just about fps games, Cube World and Minecraft being at least two to name.
12. - Looks like the typewriter title of a confidential file, not exactly a logo, more of a stamp if anything, like #3.
13. - Nothing particular to note about this one, except that I dislike it in general.
14. - Looks like a loading bar, again with emphasis on "IN," seems rather static for some reason.
15. - Looks like a "Private Eye" logo, and as far as I know we do not specialize in sleuthing services.

Assuming a visual style is settled upon, the second question to be asked is regarding the name itself. Should the logo read, "Insomniac Servers" since more than one type of server is being hosted. Should it read plainly "Insomniac" or "Insomniacs" so as to not narrow down our services to hosting servers only(if for some reason we expand to broader horizons), or perhaps a combination of both or whatever rolls off the tongue better. Perhaps something short and sweet as an emblem. Ex. "IS."

To summarize, my preferred choices for visual style from this given set would be #9, followed by #6. However, I agree with what some of the other members are saying, about having some kind of relevance to the title. The visual styles could use any word or phrase and still look just as good. It would be nice to have something representing "us."

I had my own idea for the logo back when Juw, sif, Butler, and I were working on the sign for the new spawn of the creative world. It would feature the same style of font. From there, there could be at least two choices. First, would be similar to the old Neversoft title intros, with a blank eyeball staring straight ahead (and occasionally darting around), or the classic Insomniac half closed design (with occasional blinking) with potential candlelight flickering animations. (Visual depictions in the link provided below)

http://imgur.com/a/fIilG#0

If my post is filled with too much ignorance or naivety then please by all means ignore it.
These are my 2 cents on the discussion thus far.

EDIT: I should have read the previous replies detail rather than skim over to get the gist. I agree with Butler and bren regarding the eye expression. I have done some 5 second googling to look at what others have done in the past, and found some potential ideas for inside the font, that could also be used as a trademark emblem.

http://newevolutiondesigns.com/images/previews/10-eye-inspired-logo-designs.jpg
http://www.posterdistrict.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/c685eba2acd8b922f5ab8b86_533x800.jpg
http://th05.deviantart.net/fs70/150/f/2013/151/f/e/eyeball_by_schweitzerfx-d67c83h.png [I could not find a bigger version of this picture, so my sincerest apologies.]

**Bias: I am a sucker for minimalistic simple art, especially two tone type works.

FINALLY A DIRECTION THANK YOU. WAS THIS SO HARD. SERIOUSLY

Kenyor

Hey guys. So I thought I'd have a crack at a logo design (I know you didn't ask for it, but oh well)

I think this is pretty badass, and it conveys the"Insomniac" thing quite nicely.

http://postimg.org/image/tbgjzxt81/full/

It's pretty hi-res so you might wanna open it in a new tab or whatever.\

What do you guys think?
EliteBuilder
I'm a picker, I'm a grinner, I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Juwayyid

Wow Kenyor, that is really really nice!  I love the detail, the minecraft reflection and all!  I would love to see the color of the eye red though. 

All I would say is use some more reds in there rather than blue.  Blue looks great, but I think we wanted to keep the red colors.

But wow man, that eye is soo cool.  100% original?
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

Kenyor

EliteBuilder
I'm a picker, I'm a grinner, I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Skitty

so outside the freaking eyeball is there anything else?
i want to start moving on this thing

Juwayyid

Gothic/twilight tones.

Gotta have that "mystery" feel to it.  That mid morning, world is asleep feel you get when you wake in the wee hours to go to the airport or something.
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.