A survival server revamp!?!

Started by Juwayyid, October 09, 2013, 04:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jahona

Quote from: bren4q on October 22, 2013, 10:41:03 AM
Quote from: darthjahona on October 22, 2013, 09:52:35 AM
There is no traffic to survival just about anymore.
Update it to 1.6.4

What you talking about Willis?

pst.  Survival is 1.6.4
Step into the prehistoric era and come face to face with some of the greatest animals to ever walk the Earth!

Takinomfan

Of course I read it, Kidd. I read everything... including that wall of text...

One of the points I had for this map was that you could choose if you wanted PvP (You go for building a bridge/Finding a bridge/ Fighting the other side), or PvE (Run away from the Canyon and never look back)

I'm assuming that by "Building Styles", you mean the random villages/castles/fortress'/huts/forts/loner's huts that will be build in the wild with loot and sometimes trading villagers? Because of course, any player can build whatever they want, no restrictions. (Unless it's super inappropriate, or it's an unstable bridge :3) Wild buildings will be built in any style from about 200 years ago backwards, or Fictional. You might find a giant village of hives that ends up being a maze, you might find a European castle, you might (not) find a tiny wooden entrance to a tiny mountain hut that holds a villager. The random Vanilla villages would probably be torn down as well, and rebuilt into different styles of buildings, though the layout would stay the same.

About plugins, Factions could be cool if you can have some custom options... Four factions: 2 PvP, one for each side, and 2 Untouchable, one for both sides again. The untouchable sides can not hurt or get hurt from the PvP'ers, but can from everything else. PvP players can not get hurt from Untouchables, or their own faction, but can get hurt from the other faction. Other than that, I don't think Mini factions would be necessary at all. This is just a way to keep people from interfering with other peoples preferred experience.

Any Economy plugins, on the other hand, irk me to no end. They are too easily exploited by anyone. I prefer having just villagers and their horrible trades, because it keeps trading as a last resort. You really should find a way to get the resources you need by yourself first, and only trade your five diamonds for an emerald if you really need it.

I'm kind of curious what the numbers are for visitations on the current Survival server; how many people would have to be entertained?

In case it wasn't clear, I'd really like to be on the content-creating side of this project. I was an admin on the Survival and Creative servers before I left about... Has it really been three years? Anyway, about that long ago. I am willing to re-apply if needed, though content for consideration will have to be text based, seeing as how I have no computer for a while longer.

P.S. And now my major annoyance has disappeared/been BANNED! :D

Emperor_Quimby

Quote from: Kidd2000 on October 22, 2013, 06:13:47 PM
   What if we have guilds instead of factions? Say I'm in the miner guild, I would get a decent buff in selling ore and a cheaper price on mining equipment than people who weren't in it. Oh! If I was then a smelter, I would buy ores at a cheaper price and selling ingots/tools/weapons at a higher price! Then if I was a hunter, I'd get equipment cheaper and sell mob loot for so much more! Oh think of the possibilities! People in other guilds aren't enemies either. Then, if that was some how possible, we could then have a weekly challenge of getting the most activity in your guild. In a playtime/number of people ratio so that less popular guilds still have a chance. Then winner guild then receives special loot or plots of land or money. Great incentive to collaborate with your buddies.

This of course, I doubt will happen. We'd have to make a plug-in and shiz so I doubt this would ever happen.

Yeah, there are fantastic possibilities :) But I feel like guilds are something you add when you have enough players on the server. Well my idea of a guild is more of a community than a faction (which a faction is more a war group/raiders.) I don't know, we can interpret it as we want. By the way, it sounds like more of those class kits we were talking about before. And what do you talk about a winner guild, how would that work?

Anyway off on topic, could you add a list of stories we need Juw?

Juwayyid

Ok, I know this looks like crap, but I threw together a quick sketch of the way I see the server looking.  I did this on my iPhone, so it's terrible, and I'll have a more in detail version out soon.

Here it is

Yeah I know, crap.  But the overall plan is there.

Key:
Brown triangles = mountains
Green dots = forests
Blue = ocean
Beige = desert
Black with orange = volcano
Red dot = town or city or some civilized structure where the player can choose to spawn into.

Now again, I stress that this is a very rough sketch.  I have a more detailed one on paper, but wanted to get this to you guys.  Think it works?  Like the potential?
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

Kidd2000

Quote from: Emperor_Quimby on October 23, 2013, 04:33:09 AM
Quote from: Kidd2000 on October 22, 2013, 06:13:47 PM
   What if we have guilds instead of factions? Say I'm in the miner guild, I would get a decent buff in selling ore and a cheaper price on mining equipment than people who weren't in it. Oh! If I was then a smelter, I would buy ores at a cheaper price and selling ingots/tools/weapons at a higher price! Then if I was a hunter, I'd get equipment cheaper and sell mob loot for so much more! Oh think of the possibilities! People in other guilds aren't enemies either. Then, if that was some how possible, we could then have a weekly challenge of getting the most activity in your guild. In a playtime/number of people ratio so that less popular guilds still have a chance. Then winner guild then receives special loot or plots of land or money. Great incentive to collaborate with your buddies.

This of course, I doubt will happen. We'd have to make a plug-in and shiz so I doubt this would ever happen.

Yeah, there are fantastic possibilities :) But I feel like guilds are something you add when you have enough players on the server. Well my idea of a guild is more of a community than a faction (which a faction is more a war group/raiders.) I don't know, we can interpret it as we want. By the way, it sounds like more of those class kits we were talking about before. And what do you talk about a winner guild, how would that work?

Anyway off on topic, could you add a list of stories we need Juw?

They don't fight, that's why I called it a guild. Each week they get points n' shit as stated above. The winning profession receives a boost in their perks for the week.

As for stories, (Reason why players are there, back-story, reason for searching n' shit)

Kidd2000

Quote from: Juwayyid on October 23, 2013, 12:21:56 PM
Ok, I know this looks like crap, but I threw together a quick sketch of the way I see the server looking.  I did this on my iPhone, so it's terrible, and I'll have a more in detail version out soon.

Here it is

Yeah I know, crap.  But the overall plan is there.

Key:
Brown triangles = mountains
Green dots = forests
Blue = ocean
Beige = desert
Black with orange = volcano
Red dot = town or city or some civilized structure where the player can choose to spawn into.

Now again, I stress that this is a very rough sketch.  I have a more detailed one on paper, but wanted to get this to you guys.  Think it works?  Like the potential?

I don't see any indication of the new biomes set forth for this map. Unless it is to be added later. The placement of the mountains look odd to my, I geuss because they're in an S formation?

Takinomfan

Oh... I was thinking just a Vanilla 1.7 Map, with some spots pasted over with some Amplified world-gen. Yours makes it seem more like a limited area. If you were going to use World Painter, that would be one thing, but wouldn't be very feasible to those like myself who like to travel for days to find the perfect spot to build.

Juwayyid

Like I said, that map I posted was a quick iPhone sketch.  The map makes everything look small and compact.  It wouldn't be like that.

But

The world terrain wouldn't be your typical minecraft terrain.  As we all know by this point, we are trying to set up a new style of server.  We may not get those awesome, impossibly standing mountains or things like that, but we will have beautiful and fluid landscape that creates a more realistically formed world while at the same time being something if fantasy.

I'll get a more detailed map up soon.
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

Takinomfan

Quote from: Juwayyid on October 23, 2013, 09:43:33 PMWe will have beautiful and fluid landscape that creates a more realistically formed world while at the same time being something if fantasy.

Hmm... If I may, I would recommend going to look at the mod ATG or Alternate Terrain Generation...

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1932156-16x-atg-alternate-terrain-generation/

Skloosh

I fold my pants because pants is a big deal.

bren4q

Surplus to requirements

Juwayyid

Ok, we are all over the place in this topic.  Many if you guys joined in in the idea making after we had decided to move forward and start developing the actual server.  The ideas are great, but we need to get into some development.

As stated before, knowing our landscape and knowing out story will help bring on everything else.  As for the landscape, we know we want to include:

Regions
- A thick, dark forest (little sunlight seeps through)
- a mushroomy underground mines and caverns area (think LOTR Moria)
- a Skylands area
- a vast, flat desert
- a vast, flat plains
- a nice long coastal land that runs into the mountains
- chains and scattered islands in the ocean
- a large jungle (perhaps within the desert somewhere as a massive oasis)

These are the regions we have come up with.  Again, we have decided how we plan to make them, thank you for your suggestions!

So before anyone goes suggesting any more pluggins or story elements at anything else, lets decide;

Are these regions good?  Do any of them need tweaking and are there any others that you would like to see?

Kidd2000

1.7 biomes Juwayyid. I know people aren't telling you about them on the forums but everyone I've talked to on teamspeak wants them.

Juwayyid

We are not working with biomes, we are working with "regions."  Do you want a swamp region?  A canyon region?  Be more specific.

bren4q

I think it is safe to assume that players will want to see all available biomes featured somewhere on this new world. Call the regions anything you want, but the server should make use of these new features.

In related news, rumour has it 1.7 will be released tomorrow (Friday).
Surplus to requirements