Creative Ranks - Help create them!

Started by Juwayyid, January 16, 2014, 12:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juwayyid

We are working on some additional ranks on creative.  These ranks will be related to the Insomniac theme.  Sleeplessness. 

We know we want 6 ranks.  We are looking for some suggestions for names as well as what each rank should have access to.  What permissions each rank should have.

The following is a suggested list that needs renaming and a better list of permission.

Sleeper (Guest Rank) - Can only build on the plot world. 

Dreamer (Plot Builder) - Can still only build on the plot world, however can now have 3 plots.  (Maybe /hat command as well.

Dozer (Free Builder) - Can now build on any map.

Drifter (Advanced Builder) - No real perks found aside from a better builder rank.  Maybe a nickname or possibly a title?  (if possible)

NightOwl (Elite Builder) - Can now use World Edit and Voxel Sniper.

Insomniac (Ultra Builder) - The best of the best.  Would need to be an amazing builder for this rank.

Now some of these names are good, some bad.  If you didn't notice, each rank's name becomes increasingly more sleepless.  It's a neat gag that would be fun to stick with.

From here we need to hear some better names, some better permissions, and maybe some ideas on how a player should apply for these ranks.  Apply in game?  on the forums?  requirements?  Excited to hear what you all can come up with!
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

Emperor_Quimby

what is Dozer only can build in the main world and get's permission to flat in drifter

MeatFeastMan

Hmm...NightOwl should be modified to something like Nocturnal..
As for requirements:
Sleeper>Dreamer= 1 Complete, Basic Build.
Dreamer>Dozer= 3-4 Builds showing showing some skill.
Dozer>Drifter= 1 Big Themed Build with high levels of detail.
Drifter>NightOwl= Apply on forums. 2-3 Themed Projects recommended.
NightOwl>Insomniac= Build something which makes you think 'No way, this can't be...I'm gonna cry in amazement' 2-3 times.

bb25565

I like MeatFeastMas's idea of "NightOwl"
Fawkes
\(^~^)/  I have voted myself fabulous.

Juwayyid

You like the name or the removal of the name or the way you apply for that name?
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

Saracalia

Come to think of it lol, Juw, NightOwl suits me well in Reality. Not because of my builds, but because of the times I am awake in my area :P

But I do like the looks of these new ranks.

Juwayyid

I don't like te dozer and drifter names myself.  Drifter was that idea of playing late and night and drifting in and out of sleep.  Dozer is kinda lame too.

Bren suggested a good one earlier called "Narco" for narcolepsy, the disorder where you don't control when you fall asleep.  I think replacing one of these, probably dozer, with either Narco or Narcoleptic would be fun.  Thoughts?

pusur44017

Another name that can be used is "Chronic" as in Chronicly sleep deprived

-pusur

Butlerbandit

little suggestion: split up worldedit and voxelsniper.

Worldedit is considerably safer and easier to learn, and should probably go to a lower rank than voxelsniper, which is somewhat more complicated and more dangerous.

Also, we need to make certain to set up the requirements for each rank in such a way that players cannot "whine their way to the top".
Held Together by Duct Tape

sifitis

The problem with these names is that they give new players absolutely NO hints as to what the ranks mean. Guest, builder, vip, mod- though admittedly unoriginal, they get the point across and everybody understands the chain of command. If we're going to rename the ranks, we're going to have to do so in a way EVERYBODY understands. Additionally, we want them to feel like they ARE insomniacs, not some almost-there not-good-enough rank, so Insomniac really shouldn't be some high-up unobtainable rank.

Jaysers

Agreed with Sif about the insomniac rank.
When people are on our servers, or at least when they get a basic rank, they become part of the "Insomniac" community. Getting a rank is just a bonus.
You wouldn't want some people thinking "WE are the insomniacs, not you guys muarharhar" if they have the insomniac rank.
"To regret is to make an experience that of suffering. I do not regret the time spent, but rather wish it was spent on something else."

Juwayyid

So some suggestions then?

Explaining the ranks with a /ranks command, the rank rulebook, or the rank explanations at spawn should do a fine job.  Those are plenty of ways to learn about the ranks. 

Originally the previous decided up ranks had an "Insomniac" rank followed by a "True Insomniac" rank.  If, when you finally gain access to all maps, "Free Builder," you become the "Insomniac" rank, what would you become from there?  Mega Insomniac?  Ultra Insomniac?  The problem is Insomniac is about as sleepless a term as you can get.  A player will always feel left out when they can't get to a certain rank.  It's up to those at the Insomniac level to not separate themselves from all other players and always include all in games and such.

Saracalia

Juw, what about a rank for those who donate to the classic server, just the same way as there is a rank for those who donate to the survival server?

Jaysers

I can't think of anything that doesn't relate to using drugs.
You pay for drugs. Drugs make you more hyped, more awake. Maybe like.. "Stoned Insomniac"....

.... Yeah that's all I got.
"To regret is to make an experience that of suffering. I do not regret the time spent, but rather wish it was spent on something else."

bren4q

Quote from: sifitis on January 16, 2014, 06:45:04 PM
The problem with these names is that they give new players absolutely NO hints as to what the ranks mean. Guest, builder, vip, mod- though admittedly unoriginal, they get the point across and everybody understands the chain of command.
I don't think the meaning of individual names matters all *that* much. As you say, it is more important that a person has some idea of the order in which they go and it is better that they can work this out just by virtue of knowing which one sounds higher than the other.

On the other hand, there is evidence to suggest that once a player becomes somewhat regular on the server and grows accustomed to the names and their hierarchy, it doesn't matter all that much because they have learned them. Take the classic ranks for example "Pro Builder" - > "Epic Builder" -> "Advanced Builder".
It is quite hard to tell which is better than which just by names alone. Epic Builder sounds like it should be the highest, but it wasn't. And it never really caused much of a problem. As long as the rank hierarchy is clearly visible via some in-game command or info text it is not too big a deal.

I am in favour of adopting themed rank names while still making the effort to make it somewhat intuitive to figure out what order they go in.
Surplus to requirements