Previous topic - Next topic

TheAlmightyVance

Quote from: bren4q on January 17, 2014, 11:22:17 AM

Builder Rank 4
Permissions
- Access to Command blocks (Op?)

Requirements for the rank
- Very active with regular play time for at least 3 months
- Consistently makes great things (e.g. approx 30 hours build time)
- Applies on forum with screenshots[/spoiler]

The problem for command blocks is that they can kick, ban, mess with people, and etc. with command blocks. I think it is a bad idea for that lol.

bren4q

Quote from: TheAlmightyVance on January 18, 2014, 10:33:30 AM
The problem for command blocks is that they can kick, ban, mess with people, and etc. with command blocks. I think it is a bad idea for that lol.
Yeah. I wish there was a way that command blocks could be configured to restrict certain commands like those.

Builder Rank 4 will be a rank of high trust. Not everyone will get it (equivalent to Elite Builder for those familiar with Classic). Players will be trusted because they will have made a huge effort in adding builds to the server. They may not be interested in all the staffing stuff like helping noobs, grief patrol, etc., but they would benefit greatly in having command blocks for more complex builds. If command blocks can be restricted in some way, great. If not, then owners who are considering promoting someone will need to ask themselves "Do I want this person having full access to command blocks?" with the possibility of denying them the rank on those grounds.

Quote from: Jaysers on January 17, 2014, 04:55:02 PM
Those who donated get a different rank on survival. How would it be set for creative?
The permissions system can use inheritance. So rather than have a single donor rank that someone jumps directly up to, it can be set in such a way that the donor commands get added on to whatever rank they currently have. This is important for Creative because we don't want a situation where someone is new to the server, donates, and immediately has access to all worlds with WorldEdit and VS. That could be bad juju. Being a donor does not mean being trusted. So by using inheritance the player would be Guest + Donor - all the restrictions of guest rank but with just the donor perks added.

Survival could have been done in the same way if I had fully understood the inheritance system at the time, but it ended up not being such an issue on Survival. Donor rank on survival does not get anything too powerful - some extra homes, /hat and some cash. Not the kind of thing to worry about if a new player immediately donated.

Quote from: Jaysers on January 17, 2014, 04:55:02 PM
For Staff, would it be possible for someone who currently has, in Bren's rank set, Builder rank 2 or 3 to suddenly jump to staff?
I think so, yes. I see Builder Rank 4 as being a parallel to the Staff Rank - similar level of trust and dedication, just one focuses on building and the other focuses on helping out with managing the server, players, and so on.

People should be able to get to Staff on the basis of the various requirements mentioned, and not so much on their building skills. That said, I think some degree of building skill and knowledge is required to be a good staff. They should know enough about WE and VS to be able to answer any questions others have on how to use them.
Surplus to requirements

Juwayyid

I was going to say the same thing about trust at Builder Rank 4 that Bren said.  By the time a player reaches that level they would be dedicated to our servers and would not be looking to get into trouble.

I'm for the command block access if its possible. 

Also, Jay didn't mean Donors should shoot up to the top rank.  He was just talking about recognition for Donors.  Should they be recognized someplace?  At spawn, a donor statue, a title or something in their name?  Donors probably need something more than /nick as well.
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

MeatFeastMan

bren4q

Quote from: Juwayyid on January 18, 2014, 11:32:14 AM
Also, Jay didn't mean Donors should shoot up to the top rank.  He was just talking about recognition for Donors.  Should they be recognized someplace?  At spawn, a donor statue, a title or something in their name? 
Oh I see. Well if they have /nick they can give themselves a fancy color or title. We could add a symbol before their title or name. We could have a forum rank for donors. If you want to build statues and have some sort of roll of honor some place near spawn for those who donated, I don't see why not. Someone will need to be responsible for building it all :P

Quote from: Juwayyid on January 18, 2014, 11:32:14 AM
Donors probably need something more than /nick as well.
There doesn't necessarily have to be a big list of perks. A donation is not a purchase. But if you can think of some other things, great.
Surplus to requirements

Saracalia

Probably a stupid question, but what about having the ranks the same as survival, though maybe little confusing, but like yeah?

Jaysers

Are you kidding? /nick is, by far, the most entertaining command anyone could get. The donation was worth it.

10/10 would recommend to donate.
"To regret is to make an experience that of suffering. I do not regret the time spent, but rather wish it was spent on something else."

Juwayyid

Settled on the ranks then or are there still any concerns?
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

Krawkyz

Quote from: bren4q on January 18, 2014, 11:16:21 AM
Yeah. I wish there was a way that command blocks could be configured to restrict certain commands like those.

Builder Rank 4 will be a rank of high trust. Not everyone will get it (equivalent to Elite Builder for those familiar with Classic). Players will be trusted because they will have made a huge effort in adding builds to the server. They may not be interested in all the staffing stuff like helping noobs, grief patrol, etc., but they would benefit greatly in having command blocks for more complex builds. If command blocks can be restricted in some way, great. If not, then owners who are considering promoting someone will need to ask themselves "Do I want this person having full access to command blocks?" with the possibility of denying them the rank on those grounds.
Command blocks are only important to those who know how to use them. Very few of the players on this server know how to use them.
As well, it would put rank 4 above every other rank including staff.
Builder Rank 4 should be removed.

bren4q

Quote from: Krawkyz on January 18, 2014, 06:48:46 PM
Command blocks are only important to those who know how to use them. Very few of the players on this server know how to use them.
Precisely. There will only be a few players on rank 4.

Staff would have command blocks too.
Surplus to requirements

Juwayyid

There is more to bing staff than just command blocks.  As Bren mentioned previously in this thread, Builder Rank 4 is good for those long time dedicated players who would, by the time they reached the rank, have earned its perks and do not want to be bothered with staff duties or just aren't needed for staff.

Krawkyz

Quote from: bren4q on January 18, 2014, 07:55:57 PM
Staff would have command blocks too.
Then there only needs to be one staff rank since all of staff would be op'd.

Juwayyid

Mods and admins have different roles and say as ops on the server.

bren4q

Quote from: Krawkyz on January 18, 2014, 08:20:06 PM
Then there only needs to be one staff rank since all of staff would be op'd.
Being Op does not mean 100% access to all commands. Some commands can still be restricted based on permissions even if a person is Op, command such as changing the rank of others. The other staff rank is for owners. Only they will have the ability to rank people up to the higher ranks.

Even if there is not much difference in commands it is still useful to know who the server hosts are.
Surplus to requirements

MeatFeastMan

I'd say that Op's should be able to rank up people to the rank after guest, since there will be a lot of demand for that rank.