Use maps to render any image in game

Started by bren4q, February 04, 2014, 09:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bren4q

I added a fun plugin to Creative!

[spoiler][/spoiler]

It lets you draw any image to a map by providing the direct URL to the image.
It can be used for fun, decoration, or as an attractive welcome sign to new players with rules, logos, info, etc.

/tomap <image_url>

• Currently available to VIP+ (change this if required)
  • A single map is 128x128 pixels. If you use larger images it will split it across multiple maps. Make sure you have enough room in your inventory as it will spawn each map tile.
  • For best results resize the image to be a multiple of 128 pixels.
  • Place the map tiles on picture frames in the correct order to create a large, detailed image.
  • Currently limited to 36 maps per player to discourage misuse.

If it works well I think this plugin would make a nice perk for donors on Survival.

The screenshot that you see above was an image that was 500x500 originally. I decided I wanted it to fit an area 5 x 5 blocks, so that means 5 x 128 pixels each way. I resized the image to 640x640 using Paint.NET and uploaded it to imgur. Then I copied the imgur direct link and pasted it after the "/tomap" command to get all the map tiles and placed them on the 5x5 frames. Et voila!

Plugin page:
http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/imageonmap/
Surplus to requirements

Skitty

i like it.
i can make a private section just for me MUAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

Shoot for the moon. And if you miss....You'll die horribly in space.

Juwayyid

This provides a great and easy way to add a ton of more details in builds and especially the new spawn!  Terrific!  Thanks for a awesome find Bren, can't wait to start using it!

(Whose ready for some autographed pictures, huh?  Anyone?  Anyone!)
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

Skitty

we need to learn how to make it animated >:D

sifitis

That is awesome.  I have been going and building massive pictures on the flatmap to do exactly this!

I do have a concern, though.  With the maps I made by hand, I had problems where it wont render on the wall unless you render it in your inventory first.  I donno if this is still a problem, or if it has a simple solution, but that may cause problems if we try to use it for, as juw stated, detail to builds.

That said, its still epic! Ima go make ma'self a picture now!

PS: if its limited to 36 maps, is there a way to remove yours, or do you just have to be very sparing and careful in what you create?  Nevermind, when I actually bothered to READ the plugin page, I found ma answer.  :P

bren4q

Plugin settings or permissions need to be tweaked. I found that a 36 limit is too restrictive. You get one good size billboard and thats about it. I think 100 tiles would be better.

To delete a rendered image that you have used is awkward.

List all of the individual map tiles that you have used with
/maptool list

Delete each tile individually with
/maptool delete <tilenumber>
Surplus to requirements

bren4q

If having lots of maps being rendered in an area when chunks are loaded, does not cause lag or other problems, then I think we could just remove the limit altogether.
Surplus to requirements

Skitty

bren what have you done.... im having to much fun with this.... TO...much fun

Jaysers

You should've heard him. I think he's lost a part of his sanity. Or at least, made us lose some.
"To regret is to make an experience that of suffering. I do not regret the time spent, but rather wish it was spent on something else."

Juwayyid

Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

bren4q

Surplus to requirements

sifitis

bren4q

Surplus to requirements

Krawkyz

Quote from: bren4q on February 04, 2014, 07:45:35 PM
If having lots of maps being rendered in an area when chunks are loaded, does not cause lag or other problems, then I think we could just remove the limit altogether.
Having a lot of any entity can lag someone, and maps usually have a lot of those little metadatas that add up.