Preparing the Creative server map for 1.2 update

Started by bren4q, March 13, 2012, 10:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bren4q

Proposal
Before updating the server to Bukkit 1.2 I think it would be good to prepare the map to make the update go smoother. I am proposing that we trim off parts of the existing map to smooth off the currently explored world into a more manageable square. The parts I am proposing to cut off are mostly just straggly parts where people have wandered off exploring, but there might be some builds out there in the wilderness that people want to keep.

Reason
1.2 will have jungle biomes and new parts of terrain that get generated under 1.2 wont always blend well with the terrain that has been generated already under 1.1. This can result in noticeable boundaries between old and new terrain - such as water or hills or biomes changing very suddenly. It can look odd and unsightly. If we trim off the rough parts of the side of the map it should reduce the amount of this rough transition that we see.

Area to keep
This is the generated 1.1 world as it stands.

Click here for larger image

I have marked off an approximate area that we could keep. Any lands outside this area would be removed and then regenerated with 1.2 biomes. We would first need to explore/generate any black areas inside this area so that everything in there is 1.1 format.

Any substantial builds that are outside the marked area can be copied and placed somewhere inside the safe zone. Its up to everyone to copy their own build or let someone else know about it so it can be saved (mark it on the map or give the coordinates so we can find it).

That's my proposal. Hopefully it makes sense. Any concerns or other thoughts?.
Surplus to requirements

Juwayyid

Looks good.  I think it's a great idea as well, I was hoping people would stop exploring and wait for the update to come anyway. 

I think the outline is fine and no one will be upset if they have a small build here or there that gets cut out.

Looking forward to the update at last!  Should I start hitting those black areas?
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

jwirth

I can finally make my official zombie survival with 1.2 I have been on a few server just seeing what it is like with 1.2 multiplayer. I can't wait for creative to have 1.2....oh don't use the bottle o'enchant much because it will lag the hell out of the server.
Those that don't know pain can never know true peace!

bren4q

Quote from: Juwayyid on March 13, 2012, 10:27:34 AM
Should I start hitting those black areas?
Sure. Whatever you can get done. I can do the really long parts that are towards the top of the map, but if you or anyone wants to help "color" in the map in those black areas, please do.

I forgot to say, I wont be trimming the map for a few days, until we have revealed all the black areas inside the box, and hopefully people will have moved their builds that they want to save. Perhaps a week from now is when the map snip will happen.
Surplus to requirements

CTSquirrel

I'm fine with your proposal, as long as my WWII Carrier is copied to a large, open, area of water.

You'll see it if you follow the yellow arrow all the way to the end.

Jahona

CTS I've got to leave for a lunch appointment but when I get back I'll see about copying your carrier over and then saving it so you can call it up when you want.  Unless bren gets to it first.
Step into the prehistoric era and come face to face with some of the greatest animals to ever walk the Earth!

Jahona

CTS your carrier has been saved to world edit as
CTSquirrel_Carrier_001
Step into the prehistoric era and come face to face with some of the greatest animals to ever walk the Earth!

thealex447

Ummm....

The yellow is the current build off.

The red is my paradise island. It is quite big, i don't know how we are going to move it.

I think we should have everyone explore as much of the black as possible. To my current knowledge of that map, everything after 5000 or 6000 diagonal blocks from spawn is ocean. I have gone out to 10,000 to find nothing but ocean. That is the bottom left path on the live map. The land seems to extend a bit farther top right, but I'm pretty sure it turns into ocean too.

UPDATE: looks like a 10-12 thousand block square will save the entire landmass. I traveled Northwest (Southwest on Dynamic map) and reached ocean at about 5500 diagonal blocks.

NickyKim

Well, well... this is a nice idea. If all the builds get back into the red area (which is IBT's developmental/planned area), then I can link those build more easier than before with rails!
M.D. Kim, Nicky

Kidd2000

Copy&Paste. Simple, and I'm sure in your time of using commands youve dont it before Alex, soo just put these beuts in the red zone. Same would go for everything else. Id say this would be a more effecient/easier way of handling this situation than expanding the borders.

Juwayyid

We are very close to having all the unloaded map areas loaded up.  Is it enough as it is right now?  Or will you want more?

I think all we need is to move the build off and the hotel as well.
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

thealex447

@kidd2000 yea copy paste is easy, but this is way too big for that. The old server may have been able to handle that size of a cuboid, but this one cannot. Its far out of reach of my 32768 limit. I could override the limit with a VS copypasta brush, but those are very inefficient for large objects and will most likely end with a crash. I not only want the hotel, but the whole island too. I will attempt to move it today.

bren4q

Most unexplored areas within the region we are keeping have been generated now.

Rather than move that large build belonging to thealex at the bottom of the map we'll just extend the safe zone a little. As for the large build-off area to the left of the map, I'll try copy that using MCEdit since it kinda big for WorldEdit.

I did a trial run of updating to 1.2. It takes about 30 minutes to convert and the world data size went from 1GB to 2.2GB. No issues, but all of the plugins stopped working so we will need to get updates for many of them too.

I'll try to get the MCEdit work done tomorrow night. If I don't finish it tomorrow then it will be Monday most likely before 1.2 is running because I won't be around much this weekend.
Surplus to requirements

Juwayyid

Ok, sounds like a plan then Bren.  Thanks for the update!