The Classic Servers

Started by Skitty, November 14, 2011, 07:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skitty

Since we are currently hosting both servers on one machine which isn't the best idea in the world because if one goes it tends to take the other.
the question arose. What do?
so here is the issue should we combine both pk1 and pk3 into one main server and branch from there, or keep the current setup and move pk3 or pk1 to a new home.

Shoot for the moon. And if you miss....You'll die horribly in space.

bren4q

Advantages of merging:
- More players under 1 roof, more collaboration
- Easier to admin (no messing around with keeping ranks, bans, commands, etc. in sync across 2 servers)

Disadvantages of merging:
- If host PC goes offline we will have no classic servers to play on (skitty's electricity was out for a week last time).
- Number of new players will be reduced. Having 2 classic servers means we have a higher chance of at least one of them getting high up on the minecraft.net server list, which means more new players. Having 1 server means once it drops down it will take several days to get back up high.

This is all I can think of at the moment.
Surplus to requirements

Sublimity

I think merging is the best option for now. Ofcourse there are disadvantages, but we'll get over that, eventually.

Skitty

thanks for the input. to everybody else. your input is greatly valued. it will help the transition work for everybody. ;)

ThorSummoner

I would greatly like the classic connection info, As I have to redo much of my dns and hosting directory mangement, not to mention graphics and another stublement as the beta community rerelocates the beta server, I might as well add the classic connection info to my "clan homepage" wether or not anyone ever uses it.
-Thor

Skitty

Quote from: ThorSummoner on November 14, 2011, 02:02:35 PM
I would greatly like the classic connection info, As I have to redo much of my dns and hosting directory mangement, not to mention graphics and another stublement as the beta community rerelocates the beta server, I might as well add the classic connection info to my "clan homepage" wether or not anyone ever uses it.
the same as last time (search powerkrew if you have wom) search IS Classic Server if using the site.

ThorSummoner

Oh right, maybe i'll just remove the link entirely then, Or should i just post that info?
-Thor

Skitty

not to sure what you are asking.

jwirth

I still cant really disside on what we should do with the classic servers. I mean with one server there is a lot of people which can be good but it will be a lot of text lag and spaming it will be hard to talk and it would be pretty crowded. but if there was only one server it would make it easier to rank people and we can keep an eye on, on how many people are usually playing at 1 time on the classics.
Those that don't know pain can never know true peace!

Skitty

well im leaving it up to you guys to vote on what we do.

morin

the only neutral option in my mind where most disadvantages can be avoided is for 2 hosts for the classic servers meaning skitty host PK1 or PK3 and someone else host the other so
i play way to much tf2/ massive trader :D i own a 100$ hat currently :D/not that expensive for some people lol

Krawkyz

The advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Merge 'em.

bren4q

With everything on one machine there is a greater need for reliability. That host machine is currently offline and nobody knows why or has any way to find out since skitty too is offline.
Nor do we know how long it will be off for. Could be few hours, or it could be a week if there's more bad weather.
And winter is only just beginning....

Surplus to requirements

morin

so wouldnt that put another advantage to two hosts
i play way to much tf2/ massive trader :D i own a 100$ hat currently :D/not that expensive for some people lol

bren4q

If the decision is to keep them separate then we'd almost certainly look to host them in 2 different places.
Its the main, and probably only reason, for having 2 servers. Like I said in my first post yesterday:

"Disadvantages of merging:
- If host PC goes offline we will have no classic servers to play on"

Which is exactly what happened today.
Surplus to requirements