Computer Support

Started by wills20202, May 02, 2016, 06:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wills20202

I have created this post for a specific reason. Everyone has computer troubles at some point. If you need help trying to fix these issues please feel free to post here and I can try to troubleshoot your problems and help you fix your computer. I am earning a degree in Computer Technology so I have a bit of expertise in the field. SO feel free to post any issues and I will try and help you solve them.

Jahona

Here's one for you.

So I have issues with usb audio.  Any usb audio output or input source I plug into my computer functions but causes weird issues.  Screen capture software captures degraded audio from both the mic and computer sounds.  Consistent recording will eventually lead to failure and either lock the system up or require a reboot.  I've tried several different USB audio devices so it's not just issues with a single faulty device.

Good luck =D
Step into the prehistoric era and come face to face with some of the greatest animals to ever walk the Earth!

Krawkyz

Whenever I launch Minecraft, if I change the resolution to 1920 by 1080 in the launcher (any height around 1080-1100) it automatically changes the height to 1078. My monitor's native resolution is 1920x1080. The only time Minecraft gets to the correct resolution is when I fullscreen it, but I want it to be borderless window. To accomplish this, I configure the LWJGL by the string "Dorg.lwjgl.opengl.Window.undecorated=true" in order to remove the border. In either case, the screen still opens in 1920x1078.

Hazestorm15

Okay wills, Everytime I open the Minecraft launcher a nativelog file appears on the desktop, yet I do not want it there. How can i avoid getting this nativelog file to reappear on the desktop

sifitis

Hey Wills, I'm glad you made this post- I actually really need help right now.  You see, here is my problem:  my computer is having trouble where the last 10-12 pixels on the right side of my screen flicker.  I know how to fix it, but I can't do it because I'm SUPER hungry- I would kill for some curly fries.  Do you think you could make that happen? Cheese would be nice but is optional.

wills20202

I will review each of these issues and respond to each of them as soon as I get a possiable solution

wills20202

Quote from: Hazestorm15 on May 02, 2016, 03:24:14 PM
Okay wills, Everytime I open the Minecraft launcher a nativelog file appears on the desktop, yet I do not want it there. How can i avoid getting this nativelog file to reappear on the desktop

Haze try reinstalling the Launcher and install it to a separate Directory. If that works use the .exe and create a desktop shortcut from that.

Let me know if this works. Feel free to send a screenshot.

Jaysers

Hi Wills, first I'd like to start by saying thank you for posting this thread.

I have several issues. You see, for several months now my laptop has been giving me this weird pop-ups that say I've won a free ride to Microsoft Headquarters. Apparently I got a window seat on row 10, but they didn't specify what plane or any other information. Now as a very informed person of how technology works, I know that these pop-ups tend to be annoying ads or even possible viruses that are purposely tempting to click on. How do I get rid of this potential virus? I've tried multiple virus scans and file purging attempts but neither have gotten rid of the adware.

Another issue I have is more technical. My laptop is several years old now but still runs fine. The main issue is that the laptop tends to get pretty hot and depending on the weather, to the point where it could get uncomfortable to use. Now, I'm a biochemist major so I am pretty much an expert in this field. I know that with higher temperature there is higher average kinetic energy, resulting in faster movement and/or greater velocity. Not only that, but entropy tends to favor higher temperature and nature also tends to favor higher entropy. I'm bringing this up because scientifically speaking, my hot laptop should be running faster and more efficiently with higher temperature, and should run even faster as temperature goes up. However it gets quite uncomfortable to use because my hands rest on the keyboard area and oven mitts don't really work well because I can't really type with them on. What should I do to reduce or prevent this discomfort?
"To regret is to make an experience that of suffering. I do not regret the time spent, but rather wish it was spent on something else."

Hazestorm15

Quote from: wills20202 on May 02, 2016, 03:38:40 PM

Haze try reinstalling the Launcher and install it to a separate Directory. If that works use the .exe and create a desktop shortcut from that.

I already have this done. So its not that

Drakon

I recently modified my computer with an new CPU fan, and immediately after I got a virus that made me have to reinstall windows. Ever since then when my computer goes into sleep mode one of two things happen 1. I get a bad graphical bug on my computer, the whole screen looks like when you try to put an NES cartridge in without blowing on it. 2. The computer crashes and auto-restarts itself.

The whole graphical bug isn't limited to when my computer is in sleep and I have to restart it when I turn on my monitor, it also happens randomly while I am using it, my computer screen will freak out like it just got thrown in a pool of water while still powered.

wills20202

Quote from: Jaysers on May 02, 2016, 03:41:49 PM
Hi Wills, first I'd like to start by saying thank you for posting this thread.

I have several issues. You see, for several months now my laptop has been giving me this weird pop-ups that say I've won a free ride to Microsoft Headquarters. Apparently I got a window seat on row 10, but they didn't specify what plane or any other information. Now as a very informed person of how technology works, I know that these pop-ups tend to be annoying ads or even possible viruses that are purposely tempting to click on. How do I get rid of this potential virus? I've tried multiple virus scans and file purging attempts but neither have gotten rid of the adware.

Another issue I have is more technical. My laptop is several years old now but still runs fine. The main issue is that the laptop tends to get pretty hot and depending on the weather, to the point where it could get uncomfortable to use. Now, I'm a biochemist major so I am pretty much an expert in this field. I know that with higher temperature there is higher average kinetic energy, resulting in faster movement and/or greater velocity. Not only that, but entropy tends to favor higher temperature and nature also tends to favor higher entropy. I'm bringing this up because scientifically speaking, my hot laptop should be running faster and more efficiently with higher temperature, and should run even faster as temperature goes up. However it gets quite uncomfortable to use because my hands rest on the keyboard area and oven mitts don't really work well because I can't really type with them on. What should I do to reduce or prevent this discomfort?

Issue A. Try going to the Control Panel > Uninstall a Program Look through everything in here and if you see something out of the ordinary that you know is not something you normally use or have ever used. Uninstall it. Sometimes it is just something like that that could be causing the Pop-ups to appear on your screen.

Issue B. Sometimes a hot computer is not always the best thing. Try downloading this program Core Temp http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ When you run Core Temp it allows you to have some control of the excess amounts of heat coming from your laptop. I would suggest running Core Temp and clicking on Enable Overheat Protection and then in the text box below that should say Activate at the specified temperature. Click on that and set the Temperature to one that is comfortable for you. This should reduce the Heat coming from your laptop keeping it cool and preventing you from cooking an egg on your laptop.

If you continue to have issues with either of these feel free to post here or email me at [email protected] with the Subject being Something along the lines of Computer issue. I will get back to you asap if anything else comes up. Have a nice day.

wills20202

Quote from: Hazestorm15 on May 02, 2016, 03:47:43 PM
Quote from: wills20202 on May 02, 2016, 03:38:40 PM

I already have this done. So its not that

When launching Minecraft is the Minecraft.exe the file you open? If so move this file into a folder. Then right click on the file and then go to Create a Shortcut. Use the new shortcut to run your Minecraft Launcher and see if you still are having this issue

pusur44017

I accidentally deleted some files that I have now attempted to recover and it has resulted in close to 1 million files.
The files I actually need are picture, audio and video files.
The video files are .mxf, the pictures probably .jpg (but maybe other formats) and audio is probably .mp3 or other "mainstream" format.
This is part of a video project I made, and while I still have the closest thing to an end product backed up, I would still like to edit a thing or two. The program I used, Sony Vegas Pro 13 can search for the files on my entire HDD, but the program I used to recover the files renamed them all so I cannot use this as is.

I need help with:
*Means to try to uncorrupt primarily video files since I have yet to encounter other corrupted files. Mainly .mxf, but .mp4 is also very welcome.
*Is it possible to find the real names of (some) files using metadata? If possible, it would have to be a searchable option, as there are thousands of files.

-pusur