Tekkit Server(TBD)

Started by bb25565, July 06, 2012, 12:25:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bren4q

Quote from: Kidd2000 on July 20, 2012, 03:36:47 AM
Also, Bren allowed permission for this so he is okay to run it.
No I didnt.

The process I have in mind is
- someone suggests a server
- the potential host fills in the details of their hosting abilities and plans
- the other hosters (me, Skitty, Darthjahona) decide if it is suitable or if it will conflict with the other servers
- if it is suitable we decide on a rota if necessary for running the servers. If its not suitable then it is not allowed to be advertised.

Since this server has just appeared without any consultation or consideration for the effect it would have on the other servers that we have been running for the past year and a half, I will remove the details of it from this thread until we have worked out what the best course of action for a Tekkit server is.

Unless someone is doing something special, the best host will usually be picked for the job. That would usually mean - good internet speed, dedicated machine, good uptime, no Hamachi.

To be decided....
Surplus to requirements

Glenn

Aww to bad, the server was such fun...  I hope it gets 'allowed' soon, I've had so much fun on there :D.
NULLUS LIMES LEONI
No limits for the lion!
Currently studying Digital Arts & Entertainment at Howest, specifically Game Development.

Glenn

Quote from: bren4q on July 20, 2012, 03:52:19 AM
Unless someone is doing something special, the best host will usually be picked for the job. That would usually mean - good internet speed, dedicated machine, good uptime, no Hamachi.

I see bb isn't answering, so i'll try to help him a bit, I've been on a lot, and had no lag at all (other story when I was on vacation in Slovenia), so I guess the internet connection is Ok, no idea 'bout the 'dedicated machine', very good uptime, it has been up a lot (not on this moment apparently), and yes, hamachi, but... cmon... it's not that bad.... =S
NULLUS LIMES LEONI
No limits for the lion!
Currently studying Digital Arts & Entertainment at Howest, specifically Game Development.

Kidd2000

Krawkyz

Changed the title, respectively.

sifitis

Although Thorsummoner isn't REALLY considered an active member of Insomniac, Im fairly certain all of us know of his server and have at one point been active there...It now happens to be a tekkit server...(for the record, tekkit gets old fast, as soon as you realize its just too easy).

$ifitis

PS: Sorry if this post counteracts what you've been saying, bren, wasn't deliberate.

Krawkyz

Quote from: sifitis on July 20, 2012, 11:25:46 AM
Although Thorsummoner isn't REALLY considered an active member of Insomniac, Im fairly certain all of us know of his server and have at one point been active there...It now happens to be a tekkit server...(for the record, tekkit gets old fast, as soon as you realize its just too easy).

$ifitis

PS: Sorry if this post counteracts what you've been saying, bren, wasn't deliberate.
Why would this counteract it?
He's just going over standard procedure for a server.
(Technically this could HELP in the process)

bb25565

Ok I will remove hammachi if waned. And I have no need for brodbaned i have 4 wifi-extenders in my house and here is no shortage of wi-fi. I use 4gb of ram so it wont lag, but knowing the tekkit launcher its still a bit buggy. And WOW. Just WooooooW. Why didnt anyone tell me i could be banned from this server. And its just a server my God peope!
Fawkes
\(^~^)/  I have voted myself fabulous.

Skitty

technically its a form of advertising. however we are being open minded. however if this was say for another random classic server that you wanted. yeah probably bannage.

Shoot for the moon. And if you miss....You'll die horribly in space.

Dwerg

Quote from: bb25565 on July 20, 2012, 01:20:10 PM
And I have no need for brodbaned i have 4 wifi-extenders in my house and here is no shortage of wi-fi.

Do you have any concept of what networking is? When talking about the internet bandwidth we are talking Mb/s, and that is not between the computer and the router. You should have a fast connection (preferably fiber) from your router to the internet, both upload and download (especially upload) speed.

Go to speedtest.net and check your bandwidth.

EDIT: Just skip this post...

http://www.heypasteit.com/clip/015R (copy to text editor for easier reading)

Krawkyz

bb25565

Quote from: Dwerg on July 21, 2012, 12:58:24 AM
Quote from: bb25565 on July 20, 2012, 01:20:10 PM
And I have no need for broadband i have 4 wifi extenders in my house and here is no shortage of wi-fi.

Do you have any concept of what networking is? When talking about the internet bandwidth we are talking Mb/s, and that is not between the computer and the router. You should have a fast connection (preferably fiber) from your router to the internet, both upload and download (especially upload) speed.

Go to speedtest.net and check your bandwidth.

Oh I have more of a concept of networking than you can even imagine. I can make n and g routers that have a better and faster upload speed and download speed that broadband, but knowing someone like you, I bet you think that that's impossible. And I bet you didn't know that your broadband has a limited upload speed, because you are not supposed to have a "high traffic websites of some sort". But wireless is not because right not very likely for someone will make something better than the limited broadband that you think is so great. That's what i have created. 4 extensions my computer is using all of those extensions so it takes all of the upload speed of them and combines than into one massive upload link. Its pretty much like having a 4 wi-fi units put into one. I have a limitless amount of Mb/s. And yet again you will think that my modem is hooked up to cable or phone line like yours. But you couldn't be more wrong. And i will not tell you what it is hooked up to because this product is one of the things i have not made public yet. I am an expert in programing and computer engineering, i am getting my PhD in both, and you dint think i have a concept in networking. Im just not going to run the server because of all this nonsence... You should probably go to collage first before questioning me.
Fawkes

Dwerg

Quote from: bb25565 on July 21, 2012, 01:49:40 AM
Oh I have more of a concept of networking than you can even imagine. I can make n and g routers that have a better and faster upload speed and download speed that broadband, but knowing someone like you, I bet you think that that's impossible. And I bet you didn't know that your broadband has a limited upload speed, because you are not supposed to have a "high traffic websites of some sort". But wireless is not because right not very likely for someone will make something better than the limited broadband that you think is so great. That's what i have created. 4 extensions my computer is using all of those extensions so it takes all of the upload speed of them and combines than into one massive upload link. Its pretty much like having a 4 wi-fi units put into one. I have a limitless amount of Mb/s. And yet again you will think that my modem is hooked up to cable or phone line like yours. But you couldn't be more wrong. And i will not tell you what it is hooked up to because this product is one of the things i have not made public yet. I am an expert in programing and computer engineering, i am getting my PhD in both, and you dint think i have a concept in networking. Im just not going to run the server because of all this nonsence... You should probably go to collage first before questioning me.
I'm sorry, I was having difficulties understanding you. But you made it much clearer now, I know what you are talking about now. If you are such a pro, why are you using hamachi?!
I saw your upload speed that you posted and it's too low, it would have worked fine for normal server but you would probably need more for a Tekkit server.
Right now I have a crappy connection because I don't have much of a choice, but when I move I will get 30/30 at least.

http://www.heypasteit.com/clip/015R (copy to text editor for easier reading)

bb25565

I use hamachi because I travle almost every week and with hammachi i dont need to change the ip. Now when I posted the speedtest.net I wasnt at my house I was in my office. And you probubly will need more, but right now I wont be home for a while so I cant do much of anything.
Fawkes

vamp222222222222

my ign in vamp222222222222