MCForge no longer working on Classic

Started by bren4q, March 31, 2013, 08:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bren4q

MCForge announced yesterday that they are no longer working on new versions of the classic server software.
http://www.mcforge.net/index.html/_/news/dropping-classic-support-4113-r38

And earlier this month Jonty800 stopped working on the 800craft server software.

Other people may take over and try to continue them in some form but they would probably be hobby programmers without the skills for making any worthwhile changes. And with the popularity of classic diminishing it is unlikely that any serious developers will invest the time in them.

With 2 of the biggest servers in classic stopping development it will mean Classic will really be in trouble if Mojang make any other changes that require server updates.
Surplus to requirements

Skitty

Shoot for the moon. And if you miss....You'll die horribly in space.

Skittlez

So this is how it ends, not with a bang, but with a whimper...
Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Butlerbandit

I think I speak for quite a few people when I say "I don't get it".     I thaught mojang was no-longer working on classic, and therefore nothing would need updated? I'm sure I'm wrong on this in some way, but could someone please enlighten me?
Held Together by Duct Tape

bren4q

Mojang dont work on classic, the game, but they sometimes change the way the classic servers are listed on minecraft.net. So when that happens, in order for the servers to continue being listed on minecraft.net the server software needed to be updated. This rarely happens (maybe once in the last year) but if it happens again, the chances of getting server updates are slim and would be another nail in the coffin for classic.

What's been even more detrimental for the numbers of new players on classic is the change in how new "free" accounts are made. Previously, you used to be able to make a free account and pick any username. Now, when you make a new account without paying for Premium, your username is your email address. You dont get to pick a username until you buy the game. You can log in to minecraft.net with your email address, but when you try to join classic servers many will block you because they dont accept email address usernames.

This is just another example of the changes that Mojang make that affect classic, even though they do not change the classic game itself.
Surplus to requirements

winner321

Well if this is the end lets port all of the good builds into a special region on creative.
Thirty-six pages of unread messages.
Two hundred fifty-one unread emails.
Six hundred eighty unread spam emails.
Now what would you do about this?

greenyoshi119

Damn, mojang is really being an asshole to people who don't buy the game... First the whole "use the demo! Classic sucks ass!" Tactic, and now the "Ok, let's spam the f**k out of this kids email address if they don't buy the game!" Classics really gone to shit,  they don't even still have the counter for classic (that says how many people made an account), its kind of depressing to see that the server with the most players on classic is 96... although I have noticed retail's almost at 10,000,000 now
I can see why the devs have decided to stop working on it, because classic was the shit in 2011 and 2010, but now no one is ever on....
If i had a nickel, for every time I found a nickel, I'd have a dime every time i found a nickel.

Skitty

what whimper classic is still online. and if i notice any bugs i have the source so i make a quick patch to fix it.

Krawkyz

Balthizar01

We dropped the project due to lack of staff determination to actually work on the bugs that we receive, and due to the Minecraft Classic community dying out.

Some of us still worked on the source code after David Mitchell took back mcforge.net from Hypereddie, but that was also dropped when people lost interest in the software.

Skitty

is1 and is2 are active and will remain active. i did my patches to keep is1 mcforge running happy and nicely is2 is 800 craft and is running with no issues.

i do not plan on taking these servers offline since they still get traffic

Balthizar01

What version is the MCForge server on? If I could know, then I could start releasing patches from that version for our server to use.

Skitty

what ever was available at the end. and if you want i mean the server runs itself since i fixed some of the bugs i didnt like that would knock it offline.

Balthizar01

I actually don't think I'm gonna bother with it. I don't think enough people play classic for it to be of any importance. I could start developing plugins for our other servers though.

Skitty

do as you wish. user input/help is allowed and i aint going to stop you.