More admins for survival

Started by Bangraa, April 20, 2013, 06:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bangraa

After the events that happened today on retail survival, I think we are in need of a few more people with the power to kick/ban people.

Juw did a great job today though. Props to ya

bren4q

People need to want to be admin first. Which means giving up playing the game normally and just staffing it - i.e. flying around watching others and just chatting. Helping other players by giving materials or building would also be ruled out for them. This is not going to be that appealing to everyone.
Then there is the matter of whether those people are suitable for the task and can be trusted not to abuse their powers by giving free aid to regular players. Without a large pool of players to choose from getting more admins is not going to be a quick and easy task.

Given that 24 hour admin presence is never guaranteed (even if there were 50 admins) the server needs plugins for preventing hack usage, chat spam and swearing - particularly for new joiners at Peasant rank.
Surplus to requirements

Juwayyid

We had some sort of hack prevention pluggin but I'm not sure what that was or if it's even still installed.

I did what I could with kicking and muting, but that was as much as I could get done.  My mod powers were reduced at some point and I think reinstating them may be helpful to avoid something like this or worse happening again.
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

bren4q

It won't help much unless you plan on being on the server 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. And since you lost some mod powers for abusing them previously it doesn't make you an ideal candidate.
Surplus to requirements

Skittlez

It's a freak occurrence anyways. If this sort of thing happened all the time, once a day, or even once a week, then we would perhaps need to get people to mod on survival. But this has happened once so far that I remember, and it seems most of everything is restored anyways.
Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Juwayyid

I was never informed in any power abuse.  The events that happened early on on the server was full of lying, misunderstandings, and bad rep giving.  I thought we decided to move past that.

It's a freak occurrence, but can happen at any time and we had a large number of consistent players online at the time who were very annoyed and asking for the problem to be taken care of.  I'm around for most of the weekends and can pretty much get online at anytime during the week as well.  We have been getting traffic on weekends, so I would expect to see more of this again soon.
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

bren4q

Quote from: Juwayyid on April 20, 2013, 09:29:45 PM
I was never informed in any power abuse.  The events that happened early on on the server was full of lying, misunderstandings, and bad rep giving.  I thought we decided to move past that.
I am referring to the misuse of the rollback command on valuable blocks so as to keep mining them over and over.
Surplus to requirements

Juwayyid

Yes, that was way back when the castle I was building was being griefed and protected chests were being raided.  The castle needed protection.

There was a lot that happened that was wrong coming from all parts in the early days, but there is no need to bring them up any further.  The server has repaired itself.  Times are fine.

Skittlez

I think when this becomes an actual problem, we'll look into it. For now, there's really no need.
Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Mudman

If I were to get retail, I'd be fine with applying a mod after becoming familiar with this alternate universes rules...

I might be getting retail in...2 weeks?
Why is it called "common" sense. If it would be up to me, I'd call it rare sense...

Jaysers

Well there might not be a mod/plugin/availability for this but...

Is it possible.. to give admin powers to a player without creative powers? I highly doubt this will ever be needed anytime soon but.. Just food for thought.
"To regret is to make an experience that of suffering. I do not regret the time spent, but rather wish it was spent on something else."

bren4q

Yes, creative mode can be added or taken away from any rank. But rather than looking for an admin without Creative, why dont you define exactly what kind of commands are required in order to protect against troublesome guests? Would it just be:
- kick, mute, tempban and ban?

I think these would be fine for a Mod to have and would get rid of troublemaking hackers/spammers/trollers, while still allowing the Mod to play the game normally without anything that could be abused to their (or others) gain. Of course, they might get attacked and angry and kick someone off, but then that would be a quick way for them to lose their rank. If tempban and ban is added to the existing Ambassador rank then that would probably suffice.

Commands I think a mod should not have:
- fly, core rollback, gamemode, eco, give, item, worldedit, wordlguard, and pretty much anything else that an Admin has. If someone is Admin, they can no longer "play the game" as it were.
Surplus to requirements

Juwayyid

Yea, the only other command I could see being handy is a jail command, but we don't have any jails set up anyway.  There is a prison in spawn already, so just setting up some jail spots in the cages would do.

All those other commands are overall creative commands.  On a survival server nobody should be building in creative.  (Can't stop Darth though, can we!)

We did have a problem with these hackers from yesterday hacking their way into player's protected zones and killing them there.  The hackers then stored away the items dropped by those killed in locked chests. 

Skitty

sounds like somebody.........had a vendetta

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Shoot for the moon. And if you miss....You'll die horribly in space.

Butlerbandit

I think the most reasonable course of action would be to simply give Juwayyid permissions for the Ban command. Upon looking at the situation in hindsight, it's really all we'd have needed. Juwayyid is already considered a semi-admin-thing anyays, and I don't really forsee him abusing Ban. The Ban command is about as abusable as any of his other semi-admin-thing commands, and he's done well with them. Also, this would allow for easier cleanup of situations like this because although Darth and Skittlez are on almost every day, Juwayyid is around during larger portions of the day, and he's more reachable for when situations like this do occur.
Held Together by Duct Tape