1.8 Release

Started by WhitePaw2002, September 02, 2014, 10:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhitePaw2002

First of all... I am sorry to all of you that I wasn't able to be with you for these past days, yet there seems to be something a bit more important than my presence. As some of you know, this day is no ordinary day! It is the day of the update all of us were waiting for! Commands are sharper, identities (of blocks) are simplified, more compact machines can be built, we now have an extra layer of fat, blubbery skin to show off some poses, and much, much more! I hope that the servers are updated as soon as possible!

_
|         / \
|        |   |
|         \./
|         / \
|        |   |
|    o   \_/

Saracalia

It will take a while before the servers could be updated. Mainly because of Bukkit.

WhitePaw2002

Alright then... I guess we will just have to wait...
(This might take a while)

:-\

WhitePaw2002

Btw:

The mapping for the skin is slightly incorrect! Don't worry, you can still use it, the problem is that one of the boxes are too wide

Body2 is just a bit too big... No biggie!

Jahona

Updating Creative and Survival with Spigot may allow you to use 1.8.

It won't show properly for players in 1.7 clients but 1.8 should see new blocks at least.
Step into the prehistoric era and come face to face with some of the greatest animals to ever walk the Earth!

WhitePaw2002

Im sorry, but i dont really, get it...

:-\

barnbarn122

As darth said, we could use Spigot.

It works flawlessly with my 29 bukkit plugins (I discovered it a few days ago,) as it uses the bukkit API. Spigot also uses a whole lot less RAM, has anti-cheat features built in (That can easily be turned off in config file.) There's a whole lot more you can control by default without having to use plugins. (http://www.spigotmc.org/wiki/spigot-configuration-spigot-yml/) and much, much more. It does support the 1.8 protocol, but does not and will not, along with Bukkit, support new commands, blocks, and items for MONTHS as CraftBukkit is under a DMCA takedown.

So Spigot will allow you to join a 1.7.10 Spigot server with a 1.8 AND 1.7.6+(I think) clients, but you will not be able to craft/spawn 1.8 items.

tl;dr version of what happened to bukkit: GPL/LGPL violation for years, and someone who contributed code finally called it out-Dinnerbone basically has to overhaul everything to make it semi legal again.

P.S: If its hard to find a download, I have the last bukkit dev build and last spigot build (I think, unless they updated it 6 hours before it was taken down)

Saracalia

Actually, a lot of good mods, such as TooManyItems, may not be also updated for a while

Jahona

So I'll see if the download links for Spigot will work but they got hit with the same DMCA takedown notice.  Mojang has responded saying they are against Wolfe, the person who filed the complaint, and that he has no right to try to take bukkit down.  While bukkit will not be the top priority of Minecraft, Mojang realizes it's importance in the community.
Step into the prehistoric era and come face to face with some of the greatest animals to ever walk the Earth!

Jahona

Well apparently my copy of Spigot that I tried to download before the DMCA stuff didn't finish downloading and now I can't get a current copy as it's under lockdown.  Time to find back channels.  Might take longer to update servers.  I do have a copy of 1.7.9 bukkit that I can put onto creative to at least update that one off of 1.7.2.  I left it 1.7.2 as Juwayyid was filming on it.  With his departure there is no reason to leave it outdated.  I'll update as soon as I have time.

WhitePaw2002

(Finally understand what insomia [or whatever the name is] means, and i've also realized what the eye stands for... Now im wondering if once 1.8 comes for bukkit, it will still be running late at night. Not that most people take advantage of that, but that is what makes these servers special)

(One more thing! Can someone please tell me when it comes out and how it turns out? I'm subscribed to this topic, so i can have a good chance of getting the message early. Thanks!)

Jahona

I'll post updates when bukkit releases to 1.8
I'm still on the hunt for Spigot server software.  I just haven't had the time to really devote into it.  Stupid DMCA.

Also Glowstone looks like a promising replacement.

Jahona

Saracalia

As I found out, the coding in Minecraft 1.8 has changed, and it is going to continue to change with the next few releases. It has been mentioned in other threads on Minecraft forums, that mod creators are having trouble keeping there mods up-to-date because of Tekkit. Which means Mojang doesn't like Tekkit. I am not too 100% sure, but this is what I have found out so far, and it has been like this since 1.7 has been released.

Jahona

Survival has taken the move back to Spigot.  It will now allow 1.8 clients to connect.
Creative will be next for the updates.