Server feedback

Started by Skitty, March 23, 2012, 03:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skitty

let us know what you think of everything so far. any suggestions. etc etc etc.

Shoot for the moon. And if you miss....You'll die horribly in space.

Kidd2000

I think its going great. :)

pusur44017

Before I get to login on the forums it looks kinda what should I say... dead?
Because those frontpage post some of them are quite old and it makes us look unprofessional

-pusur

bren4q

Following on from pusur's feedback (which wasn't picked up for some reason):

All the stuff that appears on the Home page (when logged out) are outdated topics and need to be removed or replaced with newer relevant ones.

The topics being listed are:
- Server Feedback
- Status of the classic server (out of date)
- Classic servers currently hard to connect to. Here's why. (way out of date)
- The Logos (waaaaay out of date)
- Logo Contest (waaaaaaaaaay out of date)

This is what non-registered visitors see first when they go to insomniacservers.com. This really has to be changed because there is no useful information on it. They have to click on Forum before they see anything helpful.

Ideally the first page that new visitors see will have forum-related stuff on it, or at least a brief description of what the forum and group is about and where to go from there if they want to join or apply for something.
Surplus to requirements

pusur44017

yes thats what i mean  :P

-pusur

Skittlez

Could we perhaps change up the front page? Instead of the old stuff, put in the posts that summarizes all of our server activity, as well as important pages such as application for VIP in Beta, and Adv in Classic?
Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Skittlez

NullSchritt

I think the daily downtime is very annoying.

At least once a day I have to wait for it to come back online, then open WOM, wait for it to search the list, and modify my bookmark credentials to reconnect.

Other than that, I love the server.

bren4q

I presume you play on server 1, the one called "Insomniac Classic (was PK)"?

That server uses MCForge as the Minecraft server software. It is notorious for bombing out and crashing. We have been using it for a year and a half and while it has great commands some of us got fed up with it's poor reliability and created server 2, "Insomniac Classic 2".

IS2 runs the far more stable 800craft. The commands are slightly different there so you may be out of your comfort zone for a while, but if having a dependable place to build and hang out is something you would prefer then server 2 might be a better choice than server 1.

If you don't have your rank on IS2, say it to any admin online and they will be happy to rank you up to what you are on IS1.
Surplus to requirements

Skittlez

Quote from: bren4q on June 11, 2012, 09:25:08 PM

That server uses MCForge as the Minecraft server software. It is notorious for bombing out and crashing. We have been using it for a year and a half and while it has great commands some of us got fed up with it's poor reliability and created server 2, "Insomniac Classic 2".

IS2 runs the far more stable 800craft. The commands are slightly different there so you may be out of your comfort zone for a while, but if having a dependable place to build and hang out is something you would prefer then server 2 might be a better choice than server 1.

If you don't have your rank on IS2, say it to any admin online and they will be happy to rank you up to what you are on IS1.

Perhaps it's time to switch IS1 to 800craft as well? There really does not seem to be any upside to McForge, aside from a few extra blocks.

MarcusBoay

Quote from: Skittlez on June 13, 2012, 09:50:43 AM
Quote from: bren4q on June 11, 2012, 09:25:08 PM

Perhaps it's time to switch IS1 to 800craft as well? There really does not seem to be any upside to McForge, aside from a few extra blocks.

I go against that as MCForge has a lot of useful building commands that can't be found in 800craft.

The impossible can be possible if you yearn to achieve it. -MB
[spoiler]Practice is good but I'd like to say it is not everything. Some people hit a 'plateau' and they practice for hours and hours but they just don't seem to get any better. It is mental. Escape the fate. There is no destiny because you can make your own. Talent does not exist, or if it does I do not have it. There is no such thing as gifted. If someone can do it, if it's possible, I can do it. You and I can become infinitely better. Maybe natural talent does exist, but it really doesn't matter because i'll overcome it. Fuck talent, fuck biology, and fuck a diceroll. I want to be the best and I'll rise no matter what. It's this psycho attitude which makes me 'so good'. -Wonderland (tf2 pro soldier/rocket jumper)[/spoiler]

bren4q

Some reasons to keep the MCForge server
- All of the block history and players since PK days are on MCForge - who made what builds, and when. This is non-transferable.
- Copying maps causes special blocks to lose their magic - doors, portals, message blocks, etc.
- MCForge 6.0.0.0 is still in development and may cure all of its current problems if/when it gets released.
- Players have the choice of using one server type or the other, whichever they prefer.

Some reasons to drop the MCForge server.
- Still crashes/lags and needs to be restarted.
- Ranks are not synchronised between the two servers.
- Uses up some resources on Skitty's host machine.
- Have to do grief/guest patrol on 2 servers.

This is all I can think of for now.
From this I would say there is a much stronger argument to keep MCForge than to drop it.

We may be able to mitigate some of the problems of MCForge with some tinkering and scripting - e.g. a program that monitors MCForge and auto-restarts it if it hangs, or a script that monitors ranks and auto-ranks on the other server.
I'm just short on spare time these days to look into that stuff. In a week or two I may have more.
Surplus to requirements

pusur44017

Quote from: pusur44017 on March 27, 2012, 10:40:32 AM
Before I get to login on the forums it looks kinda what should I say... dead?
Because those frontpage post some of them are quite old and it makes us look unprofessional

-pusur

Bump

-pusur