Some kind of a vehicle mod?

Started by NickyKim, May 07, 2012, 03:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NickyKim

Since now there are so many types of vehicles in mods. Why don't we install one mod that has extra vehicles in it? Could be very very enhancing to IBT development and others' enjoyment too. I'm looking especially for planes, helicopters, and airships, this will create an entire new transportation system of air travel :D
M.D. Kim, Nicky

Jahona

Mainly because it would require client side installations as well.  I also ran into issues when working with the planes mod and using bukkit.  Maybe when 1.3 comes out and the modding api is released we will see better support.
Step into the prehistoric era and come face to face with some of the greatest animals to ever walk the Earth!

Butlerbandit

what about the movecraft plugin?
Held Together by Duct Tape

Kidd2000

Quote from: Butlerbandit on May 07, 2012, 08:39:29 PM
what about the movecraft plugin?
Can you explain the plugin? I would like a boat and cars! and trains! chooo chooo!

Butlerbandit

Certainly: This is actually a plugin we had back in the old PK days on Beta server 1. Basically, the general idea of the plugin is that it allows you to build a structure or ship out of normal blocks, and then with a certain command, it selects the structure or ship you have created, and allows you to drive, sail, or fly the ship by moving the whole structure one meter at a time. Its almost kind of like selecting an area in worldedit, then cut/pasting it one block to the right, then repeating the process. As you have probably guessed, its not as smooth or fluid as the zepplin mod, but its not aweful and certianly better than nothing, and infinately more plausible than a mod that would actually add something like planes or trains (which would require client-side modifications as well).
I suppose the best way to summarize the mod would be with an example: I take a couple stacks of wood, go to the shore, and build a somewhat nooby looking ship (don't laugh, we've all done it at one time or another). I then get on my ship, enter the correct command into the chatbar, and then right click in the direction I want my ship to go. It then moves one block in that direction, and I repeat the process untill I get across the sea, at which point I enter the disembark command and get off.
One of the biggest advantages of this plugin is that it allows you to be imaginative when creating your vehicles.

Older Movecraft Plugin:
http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/movecraft/

Newer Plugin that seems to be a continuation of movecraft
http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/fun-tp-mech-autocraft-v1-1-the-pvp-styled-movecraft-alternative-1-2-3-r1.29065/

Jahona

Issue is I don't believe it would run on my system as it takes a decent amount of power.  I don't see as much use for it on the creative server.
Step into the prehistoric era and come face to face with some of the greatest animals to ever walk the Earth!

Kidd2000

Man, only if Zap had made his WW2 vehicles and planes a plug-in....

They are lots of fun, I personally favor the jeep. :)

Butlerbandit

Quote from: darthjahona on May 07, 2012, 11:16:31 PM
Issue is I don't believe it would run on my system as it takes a decent amount of power.  I don't see as much use for it on the creative server.
ya, that's the main reason we havent really had it since the PK days.

Unfortunately, Kidd2000, the problem with vehicle plugins is that in order to add a new block or entity (like a jeep), it would absolutely have to have client side mods as well. Basically, when the server and client communicate, the server tells the client "ok, put entity 342 at location blah blah=X, blah blah=Y, and blah blah=Z" since the client knows that entity 342=minecart, it shows you a minecart at said location. however, if the server knows that entity 976=jeep, but your client has no idea what a 976 is, it will spazz out and drive itself crazy trying to figure out what a 976 is, untill eventually it can't take the stress and commits digital suicide with that weapon we all so know and love: the minecraft has crashed screen.

NickyKim

So there is no kind of a decent plug-in regarding vehicle mods?
M.D. Kim, Nicky

Jahona

Not one that is easy to install and get for a user base.

Kidd2000

This make me some-what mad. They are tough to make and update but there HAS to be one out there!