The beginning of the end for Minecraft Classic

Started by bren4q, August 08, 2012, 11:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bren4q

Minecraft Classic is no longer listed on minecraft.net. It is now on a hidden page which can only be accessed if people know the URL: www.minecraft.net/classic/list

It could be a sign that Mojang are getting ready to phase out Classic for good. I'm sure the WOM server list will still be available, and even if Mojang completely remove the server list from their site people can still log in and access classic servers. But the number of players would drop dramatically and things could get too quiet to keep running.
Surplus to requirements

Juwayyid

Oh wow!

That's a terrible move on Mojang's side!  It was classic that brought us all together and inspired us to buy the full version!

I see less sales coming there way...  Or I'm being too genuine and everybody will buy it now that they can't access classic...

What a shame.
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

bren4q

Classic was the free and easy way for people to try out Minecraft. I reckon Mojang's logic is that they don't need Classic any more because they have a playable demo version of Minecraft available since 1.3 came out.

What they fail to realise is that a person's decision to buy Minecraft is influenced just as much by the gaming community that they joined as it is the game experience itself.

I still can't understand why they don't put up any information about how a new person can go about joining a multiplayer server. Classic had a server list but the full game never did. Mojang still haven't explained that you have to go find server listings elsewhere using Google or planetminecraft, but new players won't know this.

I agree, I think they are really shooting themselves in the foot. If they just made a clear distinction between the full game and classic and then provided some information on how people with the full game can join multiplayer servers then it would be ok.
Surplus to requirements

Juwayyid

Oh, I didn't know there was a demo version out now.  Even still, like you said, the community factor is going to be a problem.  We, at PK, were able to easily transfer from classic to retail thanks to the community having servers on both versions of the game. 

Without this connection, new players will be playing single player for a while.  They won't understand how to find other servers.  But the classic list is still active, so there's hoping that they are not done with classic just yet!
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

sifitis

Tsk tsk...I may not be an avid supporter of classic and cant really understand why someone with retail would continue to play it heavily, but i can not and will not deny that it is certainly the gateway to convincing people that retail is worth it.  You cant decide on the value in 5 ingame days!!!  Majorly retarded move on their part.

Still, we are only assuming they are phasing out classic- they could simply be editting the list or moving it.

-Sif-

bren4q

One of the Mojang guys said in a twitter convo that it was a business decision for fear that people would click on Classic instead of the Demo version. They also reckon that most people land on the Classic server list via Google instead of from the main minecraft.net page.
Surplus to requirements

bren4q

Looks like they got a few complaints and put it back, albeit in smaller letters than before.
Surplus to requirements