What do I win?
A gift of your choice to the value of $26 / €20

When is it due?
Builds must be completed by October 31st

Where do I make it?
Your choice - either in Classic or Retail

Who can join?
Everyone! On Classic it is restricted to EpicBuilder for now

Yes, it is yet another building contest!

Halloween is coming and so is the 1st year anniversary of Insomniac Servers. So I thought it would be good to have a Halloween theme contest because there are lots of things that can be made for it. It could be monsters, haunted castles, scenes or characters or buildings from famous horror movies - there's lots to choose from. And since Insomniac Servers are 1 year old in the first week of November it would be a good time to have something to mark the occasion.

Providing there are enough people who enter the contest and complete a themed build, there will be a prize to the value of $26 / €20. This can be a Minecraft gift code, a Steam gift code, PSN / Xbox Live points, or anything else of that value that you choose.

Builds must be completed in time for Halloween. A winner will be picked on the evening of Tuesday October 31st. I will be the only judge so that means that everyone can enter, no matter how high a rank you are. (For now, the classic server maps are restricted to EpicBuilder to stop the noobs going there and building completely random stuff like hotels!)

People can build in either Classic or Retail.
Insomniac Classic 1 - Halloween map
Insomniac Classic 2 - Halloween1 or Halloween2 map
Contest Retail server - bren4q.dyndns.org:25567

Live map: bren4q.dyndns.org:8125
Creative Retail server - bren4q.dyndns.org
Live map: bren4q.dyndns.org:8123

There is a dedicated retail server for the contest that allows cracked/non-premium players to join. Everyone gets the same rank with WorldEdit commands. It is a flat world so pick a free spot somewhere and build there.
On the classic servers there are maps created with sections marked out. Pick a free one and build there. If you need more height the ground is already hollowed out beneath the grass (just dig down 2 blocks). This is to save you time doing large "/cuboid air".

Conditions
- You must build alone.
- If there are less than 4 decent builds made for the contest I reserve the right to give a prize of lesser value.
- Builds must be created new. Previous builds cannot be used as entries.
- Builds should not be copied from things that other people made.
- Any messing around or modifying other people's builds is grounds for disqualification and a dutch rub.

Any questions, just ask.
Best of luck!
Surplus to requirements

Juwayyid

I may have missed it, but is there a limit to the number of builds we may enter or is it just one build?
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

bren4q

You can do as many as you like, but each build/collection will be individually judged. 
Just say you build a scene from the Headless Horseman (which might have 3 or 4 builds associated with it) and you also build the house from Amityville, they will be judged separately. It wont be a case of whoever builds the most is guaranteed to win.
Surplus to requirements

Kidd2000

Maaan, I wish the map was 64 blocks deep instead of 5.  :-\

bren4q

Quote from: Kidd2000 on October 14, 2012, 06:20:51 PM
Maaan, I wish the map was 64 blocks deep instead of 5.  :-\
Damn, I didnt realize that flat worlds were so shallow when they get created. Probably too late now to do anything about it since builds are already made.
Surplus to requirements

BananaSquats

What are you building Kidd? I may have a solution to your problem... :P

bren4q

I made a wide mountain with a large flat area on top if anyone wants to use it for making build(s) on. You'll see it on the live map, cant miss it.
Surplus to requirements

MarcusBoay

Quote from: bren4q on October 14, 2012, 11:24:46 AM
When is it due?
Builds must be completed by October 30th

Are you serious...?

Oh well... I shall just wait for one that falls on November or December...

The impossible can be possible if you yearn to achieve it. -MB
[spoiler]Practice is good but I'd like to say it is not everything. Some people hit a 'plateau' and they practice for hours and hours but they just don't seem to get any better. It is mental. Escape the fate. There is no destiny because you can make your own. Talent does not exist, or if it does I do not have it. There is no such thing as gifted. If someone can do it, if it's possible, I can do it. You and I can become infinitely better. Maybe natural talent does exist, but it really doesn't matter because i'll overcome it. Fuck talent, fuck biology, and fuck a diceroll. I want to be the best and I'll rise no matter what. It's this psycho attitude which makes me 'so good'. -Wonderland (tf2 pro soldier/rocket jumper)[/spoiler]

bren4q

Quote from: MarcusBoay on October 16, 2012, 02:33:45 AM
Quote from: bren4q on October 14, 2012, 11:24:46 AM
When is it due?
Builds must be completed by October 30th
Are you serious...?
Oh well... I shall just wait for one that falls on November or December...
It would be daft making Halloween themed builds after Halloween has ended.
Anyway, what's wrong with Oct 30th? That's 2 full weeks away. Anyone should be able to find a few free hours over 2 weeks to build something if they really wanted to join in.
Surplus to requirements

Juwayyid

Yea, plus its FUN!  It has been a suprisingly good time thinking up and building Halloween builds!  This is the best build off yet!

Don't wimp out due to the time limits Marcus!  Show us how good you are and what you can turn out in such a short time!  Prove that you can do it!
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

MarcusBoay

My exam ends on the 30th of October... There is no way I can enter the contest. So I'll just wait for another build-off. Maybe Christmas?

The impossible can be possible if you yearn to achieve it. -MB
[spoiler]Practice is good but I'd like to say it is not everything. Some people hit a 'plateau' and they practice for hours and hours but they just don't seem to get any better. It is mental. Escape the fate. There is no destiny because you can make your own. Talent does not exist, or if it does I do not have it. There is no such thing as gifted. If someone can do it, if it's possible, I can do it. You and I can become infinitely better. Maybe natural talent does exist, but it really doesn't matter because i'll overcome it. Fuck talent, fuck biology, and fuck a diceroll. I want to be the best and I'll rise no matter what. It's this psycho attitude which makes me 'so good'. -Wonderland (tf2 pro soldier/rocket jumper)[/spoiler]

bren4q

Quote from: MarcusBoay on October 17, 2012, 04:28:05 AM
So I'll just wait for another build-off. Maybe Christmas?
Maybeh. Christmas themes are not as fun or varied.
Surplus to requirements

Kenyor

So my entry is up in the back corner of Halloween2 *throws down gauntlet*
EliteBuilder
I'm a picker, I'm a grinner, I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Jaysers

Is a build still valid if it was built cooperatively by two people?
"To regret is to make an experience that of suffering. I do not regret the time spent, but rather wish it was spent on something else."

bren4q

Quote from: Jaysers on October 19, 2012, 03:56:35 AM
Is a build still valid if it was built cooperatively by two people?
No. I have added that now to the Conditions to make it clearer.
Surplus to requirements