Let's make these servers popular again

Started by Kenyor, December 15, 2012, 06:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenyor

Ok guys, I was talking with Kidd2000 earlier on Teamspeak and we were talking about how I came to Insomniac Servers (and Mincecaft for that matter) relatively recently, but that I've stuck with it them (almost entirely) as the only place I play MC because of how great the community is. Kidd pointed out that it is a great community, but also, sadly, a dwindling one...

He was saying that the main way we used to bring new players in was through Classic, but because of the new list system Majong introduced the servers are rarely to never even on the first page, never mind the top of the list.

Soooooooo, my thought is this: would it be possible to organise a time (perhaps even put a countdown timer on the homepage?) once a week, let's say, where we try and commit as many players as possible to logging into the classic servers to bump us up the list?

We could call it "Insomni-fest" or something. What do you folks think?
EliteBuilder
I'm a picker, I'm a grinner, I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Ejay845

This is what servers that crash and are falling do. Like RB Gaming.
Been there, done that.

No, I say we continue going on as we do. If people just regularly go on the servers, it will get quickly populated like always. Theres no need for a fest where everyone gets on at once a week, I think its something that shouldn't be done here...
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Juwayyid

So what's your once a week plan to get players here?  What would the technique be?
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

Kenyor

I guess with a group of maybe 8-10 people online at once the servers would be pushed up the list right? Then people log on, see that we're a friendly, builder-friendly community and, hopefully, stick around. That's exactly how I found the servers in September.
EliteBuilder
I'm a picker, I'm a grinner, I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

jwirth

Well Mojang listing doesn't run off of how many players are on the server it runs on the uptime and the heart beat of the server, we actually never crash it's just mojangs listing that resets and screws everything up and drops us back down to the bottom. The only thing I can think of on getting more people on the server is to advertise like crazy and hope for the best. OR juw can become a famous director and use is famousness to get people to join the server ;).
Those that don't know pain can never know true peace!

winner321

What if, hear me out, if we could get some famous you tuber to give a little tour of our friendly server love it and make us famous. Hey a man can dream can't he?
Thirty-six pages of unread messages.
Two hundred fifty-one unread emails.
Six hundred eighty unread spam emails.
Now what would you do about this?

jwirth

Hey I'm open to any ideas right now. Lets make a list of what we could possibly do to get the server more people.

Ideas
"Insomni-fest"- Have a lot of people on the server at one time to attract players and how them how friendly and get are community is, which will make them want to stay on our servers.

Advertisement- Go to forums and advertise our servers, Or other social networks.(Might need some money involved.)

Famous Juw- Juw becomes famous and uses his famousnes to attract people on to our servers.

Famous Youtuber- Get a famous Youtuber to make a small tour of are servers and love it. Which gets people to want to join our servers.

Do Nothing- We do nothing and forget about having players on our server and never speak of this again.

Glenn

Or we try to get the dang adventure maps going ( -.-" ), try to get these known, and maybe have a server where ppl can play the map
(without having to download the map), this way we'd get ppl on the servers, and we might be able to advertise even more ... :D
NULLUS LIMES LEONI
No limits for the lion!
Currently studying Digital Arts & Entertainment at Howest, specifically Game Development.

MarcusBoay

If specifically speaking for the creative server, then before we even advertise, we need more builds that will make people go "WOW" and not just "Meh." or "Hey, this is good.". Or at least make it cool enough so that people would join. Like the currently under construction Insomniac Manor...

A good example would have to be The Voxel Box. The community they have is just so off the scale that it exceeds the "WOW" standard.

To quote from winner's idea, even if a famous youtuber joined the server, what is there on the creative server that pops out?

Just my two cents.

The impossible can be possible if you yearn to achieve it. -MB
[spoiler]Practice is good but I'd like to say it is not everything. Some people hit a 'plateau' and they practice for hours and hours but they just don't seem to get any better. It is mental. Escape the fate. There is no destiny because you can make your own. Talent does not exist, or if it does I do not have it. There is no such thing as gifted. If someone can do it, if it's possible, I can do it. You and I can become infinitely better. Maybe natural talent does exist, but it really doesn't matter because i'll overcome it. Fuck talent, fuck biology, and fuck a diceroll. I want to be the best and I'll rise no matter what. It's this psycho attitude which makes me 'so good'. -Wonderland (tf2 pro soldier/rocket jumper)[/spoiler]

jwirth

Well these ideas are not just for the creative server it's for all the servers because we lack players in all of them but mostly classic and we do have some awesome builds in classic.

Juwayyid

OK, here is my plan for popularity.

There are two pieces to the plan.  One is a movie series and the other is, like Glenn mentioned, an adventure map.

First off, the movie.  Reign of the Creeper is a title and story that I have been working on since PK days.  It is the reason MWC was made in the first place.  We are going to be able to finally begin shooting this film this winter break and when the movie comes around to finally being finished, it should be quite the epic adventure.  There will be quality to this film.  It will be all around good. 

So When ROTC is finished and on the tube I plan to market it like crazy.  Send it to all minecrafters I can.  Get it on the minecraft monday show.  Anything and anywhere I can send it I will.  In turn I hope to get viewers who will follow the link to our servers where they will want to join in and help us create films and realize how great this community is and want to stay.

- - - - -

And next is the adventure map.  My idea for this is to create and Insomniac Server themed adventure map.  In this map we would include characters created from existing members of this community.  Skitty, Bren, Darth, Krawkyz, myslef, Bandit, Sif, Haze, anyone!  It really doesn't matter who we include until the story is written

And in terms of the story I was thinking that we make it something about Bren and/or Skitty wishing to retire and shut down the servers, similar to what happened with PK.  So the mission for the player / players of this map is to find the server host and stop him from shutting down the world.  It would be an apocalypse sort of game.

And on top of that, if we ever finish IS manor, we can probably hold the entire map within it.  It is large and can create for a very maze like and encompassing atmosphere that can really add to the gaming experience.

So with this IS map, people will play it, learn of some of our members, see JOIN INSOMNIAC SERVERS in subliminal messaging we will embed into their minds, and they will come flocking in!  We just need to make sure this map contains and maintains quality, difficulty, something new, and something keeping the map fun.

I believe that the both of these will really help to draw in more players and members which would only allow for use to have more hands to help us created bigger and better movies and maps to advertise with.

I would love for us to have that kind of large community.  It would be beneficial all around.
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

Saracalia

I have adversitize the servers on Minecraft Forums a while back... back I don't think adversitizing would help out in any ways...

Skitty

i like how you assume when i retire im gonna leave you with nothing.

Shoot for the moon. And if you miss....You'll die horribly in space.

thealex447

Just put our retail servers on the various server listing websites, create a gridworld, and allow guests to claim a plot and build in gridworld.

Skitty

<removed a 2 megabyte gif animation - bren>

^this is our business model

Shoot for the moon. And if you miss....You'll die horribly in space.