Insomnia-ville! Our Creative Server Player Neighboorhood!

Started by Juwayyid, June 23, 2014, 10:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juwayyid

What is Insomnia-ville?  (Working name) Well, it will be a neighborhood on the creative server for all of it's players to build a house (or houses) to play in and have fun, as well as bring the community even closer.

A little History:
As some of you may know, we originally had a town of player houses called "people town!"  It was a great little town and much was done within it, however it became a mess and, well, was built in the early days, so since then we have all improved as builders.

Then came "Player Town!"  The sequel so to say of People Town.  This town was supposed to consist of realistic mansions, however, this fell through as not many could build realistically.  It's still a great place with great houses to see!

So now comes Insomnia-ville!  (or a better name, leave suggestions!)  Before we begin setting up this town, it would be great to discuss how to approach this next community adventure!  Should we allow free building, as in, build whatever kind of house you want, go wild?  Should we go back to realistic houses?  Should we allow free build so long as the quality is passable? 

It would be nice to moderate what houses are going up to avoid a mess that usually happens.  Since the last town most who had built there have been improving greatly thanks to our Sat. Night Buildoffs, so we can definitely expect some much better houses this time around!

Let's hear some thoughts!
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

Skitty

as long as you oversee the project ill have no complaints.

Shoot for the moon. And if you miss....You'll die horribly in space.

Glenn

Cool to see this idea isn't dead, it was a fun idea, but it seems to die out after a while, hopefully we can keep it going this time!

As for how to approach it, I'd say go with "allow free build as long as the quality is passable" (Maybe have some judges who judge wetter or not to allow the building to the town (Maybe  keep secret who's in it, so that we don't get people upset if their building's not in!)), and maybe we can also have a secondary town, for buildings that didn't make it into the first town?

Also, what about recourse packs? Have a set one? Default? Use whatever as long as it also looks good in default?

Can't wait to get started with this, I still really like the concept of it! (Maybe I'd even finish that mansion I started building in the last town... I only built the front part of it :) )
NULLUS LIMES LEONI
No limits for the lion!
Currently studying Digital Arts & Entertainment at Howest, specifically Game Development.

zincman360

Like a building inspector  ;)
I also adore this idea, but could it be say medieval themed? :)

Thrash393

Looks like its about time to finish my last house..
QuoteThey found a glowing hole containing vast amounts of redstone technology. It would be thrashes and kraws secret redstone area. They had it on the border for fear they'd be griefed or messed with. (since these machines would take days tto make (with thier kind of work ethic (speaking for thrash(kinda kraw(mostly thrash)))))

Its A Giant Ass Calculator. That's the name: The A Giant Ass Calculator

kesteve

I'd also go with the free, quality build. As stated, a panel could be chosen for quality.
"The unexamined life is not worth living." ~ Socrates

Sow a thought, reap an act;
Sow an act, reap a habit;
Sow a habit, reap a character;
Sow a character, reap a destiny.

Juwayyid

Had a thought to set up a huge mountain range that we could build mountain side houses on, however that will probably limit what you can do with your house.

Is this an idea you guys would be interested in working with or would we rather have a much more flat terrain area to build on?
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

thealex447

I would be interested in a mountain range. If it is flat again, I'd rather just copy my old house because that took several weeks to finish. I do like the idea of a curated town though. The older projects are filled with people's unfinished ideas, plus road building and lot mapping could be a bit more organized.

kesteve

Thrash393

maybe have a premade continent, big mountain in the middle for anyone that wants to build on then have a savanna and a coastline for different styles of building.
QuoteThey found a glowing hole containing vast amounts of redstone technology. It would be thrashes and kraws secret redstone area. They had it on the border for fear they'd be griefed or messed with. (since these machines would take days tto make (with thier kind of work ethic (speaking for thrash(kinda kraw(mostly thrash)))))

Its A Giant Ass Calculator. That's the name: The A Giant Ass Calculator

sifitis

Im kinda liking thrash's idea. maybe not a continent, but a medium sized island with different sections being different terrain types.

or, if nothing else, have a mountain range that slopes down into a flat bowl, and so people can choose what the land gradient is that they build on. If they wanna build flat, then they can build in the middle. I personally want a nice 45 degree slope for mine.

Juwayyid

I like that idea too.  Not Insomnia-ville, but Player Island!  Where all the insomniacs can build a house, with a great selection of locations and neat, dirt-like paths and roads connecting each!

I'm really liking this idea.  How will we moderate what is acceptable though?  Leave the island open for free build and if something does not meet the quality we are looking for we remove it?  (until it can be improved of course, then it can be brought back!)

Or, if we really want to make this fun, we can set up two new towns, the island towns and then a minor town.  You build in the minor town and, if your build is good enough, you earn a spot on the island?  What ideas do you all have about how to decide if a house is good enough or not?

sifitis

honestly, I doubt we will have too much in the way of problems regarding quality. some guidelines may go as follows:

-build it in default minecraft textures. If it looks good in default, itll look fantastic in most resource packs

-it should at least LOOK like it could exist in the real world. (ie: no massive cubes being held up by a single fence post) make it plausible

-it should fit the biome its being built in.

-NO DIAMOND HOUSES!!!!!!!

Other than that, I trust that the insomniac community can work out the rest.

kesteve

I like the idea of removing if not good enough rather than building in the minor town. Should the build be applied to the terrain in an unusual manner, it might not look good in the minor town but could look great on the island.

Juwayyid

Alright, it all sounds great.  I'll get started on the island then. 

As for biomes, do we want a little of everything, desert, plains, mountain, snow, swamp...(any more?)  OR would it be better just to set up a more tropical looking island with a big mountain and flat land as well? 

Transitioning biomes can get ugly, though we can make it work.  Just wondering which you guys might like more.  (or perhaps another suggestion!)