The Classic Servers

Started by Skitty, November 14, 2011, 07:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwirth

you make a good point there bren it would be more wise to have 2 servers just in case the first server goes down.
Those that don't know pain can never know true peace!

Skitty

hi i didnt disappear. i had testing all day middle of the semester. power bliped. they are up now.

Shoot for the moon. And if you miss....You'll die horribly in space.

Skitty

really.. 20 people voted and IT WAS TIED?! REALLY?!
WHY YOU GUYS DO THIS?!

bren4q

I might change my signature to "Democracy is awesome, until it ties. Which it does. A lot."
Surplus to requirements

jwirth

well maybe people told other people to vote for one thing and others for the others and it cam out equal lol.
Those that don't know pain can never know true peace!

morin

either way it still seems like having 2 hosts would work out better or 2 seperate servers
i play way to much tf2/ massive trader :D i own a 100$ hat currently :D/not that expensive for some people lol

Skitty

i reopened the votes. MAKE IT NOT TIE!

Quote from: morin on November 17, 2011, 08:57:47 PM
either way it still seems like having 2 hosts would work out better or 2 seperate servers

THEN VOTE D:

Quote from: bren4q on November 17, 2011, 07:30:16 PM
I might change my signature to "Democracy is awesome, until it ties. Which it does. A lot."
do it. D:

Ejay845

[spoiler][/spoiler]

winner3211

Merge them but have a backup so that if it goes down another server will be put online with blank maps for building that would be merged to the main once it comes back online.

bren4q

Quote from: winner3211 on November 19, 2011, 12:25:57 AM
Merge them but have a backup so that if it goes down another server will be put online with blank maps for building that would be merged to the main once it comes back online.

I guess we could do that. I'll look into what the best way would be for that.
Surplus to requirements

Reichtmueller

Merge, without the admin panel it's hard to tell whose what rank.. like they could be a epic on pk3 but guest on pk1. i'm not sure if this problem was fixed yet, but yeaaaaah.
I decided as long as I was going to hell, I might as well do it thoroughly.

Skitty

Quote from: schiller on November 19, 2011, 06:27:34 PM
Merge, without the admin panel it's hard to tell whose what rank.. like they could be a epic on pk3 but guest on pk1. i'm not sure if this problem was fixed yet, but yeaaaaah.

chances of having an admin panel is very low. the reason for much of the instability across the servers was due to the resource intensive panel and ranking system. brilliant idea. it just needed a lot of refining.

Reichtmueller

well it seems like so far we won't need one anyway, merge is winning.
I decided as long as I was going to hell, I might as well do it thoroughly.

Skitty

Voting closes: November 21, 2011, 10:55:38 PM
i will not close or do anything until then

bren4q

Since the merge looks more than likely to go ahead, I have rigged up a backup routine that will backup maps, ranks, config, etc. (i.e. everything important) from skitty's machine onto my own. So in the event that skitty's server goes offline I can start up my copy of it and will have everything available with very little downtime.

The backups refresh approx every 30 mins, so potentially the very last 30 mins of work might not have made it across in the copy. Everything else would be there.

The MySQL block history and player stats is currently not transferred over but it might be able to handle that in near future too, which would then make it a perfect live failover system for the classic server.
Surplus to requirements