Insomniac Saturday Night Build Off!

Started by Juwayyid, April 19, 2014, 03:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juwayyid

Welcome to the Insomniac weekly Saturday night build off challenge!

Each Saturday night, depending on the number of participants, we will be hosting a ONE HOUR build off!  The challenge is to build to a theme voted upon by the participants! 

On the creative server - ip: is1.is-lost.org

WARP - /warp buildoff  -  Submit ideas below the warp spawn and browse previous games!  We have done solo and team builds!

Time - 8:00pm CST (However can vary depending on the number of participants and when they show up!  Can start earlier or later.   Best to show up EARLY!)

Judged by whoever is around willing to judge...  I guess...

No real prizes, but its just a fun time and very uncompetitive.  Just come around and laugh and joke and build something great!

See you there!
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

Juwayyid

Congrats to tonights winners!  Library build theme!  Was tough, the results were all great!  Great job guys.
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

Krawkyz

Suggestion Juw:
Add names under players who win
Add the build so it can be seen as well
Put the theme somewhere in the picture as well.

Also, I won't be able to participate in the next build-off. I'll be in St. Louis. Jeers, I mean, cheers.

Juwayyid

Alright guys, don't forget to swing by tonight for another build off!  We may get started a bit later than usual as a few players showed up mid game last week.

Good luck!

Tyraldie

Home on time, but lost my Internet... Some people at school are hosting a lan party and are hogging the net...

- sent from mobile

Juwayyid

Another Buildoff over!  This weekend had a great theme!

CANDY LAND

The Winners!  Everyone really turned out some fantastic builds in this Team build-off!  Even Vance, who unfortunately had to build alone.

1st Place

Attack of the Giant Peep at the villager sanctuary of cake!  This build featured a land made of candy that utalized every inch of plot space!  The build flowed nicely and the detail was everywhere!  On top of that there were some delicious looking chocolate villagers being chased by the PEEP!  And one is even being devoured by the peep's squish marshmallowiness!!!

2nd Place

Ice Cream Overload Island!  A massive Ice Cream mountain on a chocolate island full of naturally grown cookies, lollies, and special treats!  All surrounded by an ocean of delicious cold milk to wash it all down!

3rd Place

The Evil House of super crazy frostingness!  Oh the frosting on this completely eatable house!  But what secrets lie deep in the basements?  Perhaps an evil witch who lures children in to... 

All the entries were great again this weekend during our 1hr build off!  We had 4 teams of 2 and one solo.  Nice work to all and we look forward to next week's competition!

Juwayyid

Build offs have been consistent and we are continually developing and improving its systems!  Be sure to swing by and check it out and build with us on Saturdays!

TheAlmightyVance

Suggestion:
Let us pick what type of ground we want in our plot before the game starts as it usually takes up most of the building time replacing it with your own mouse.

sifitis

Quote from: TheAlmightyVance on May 28, 2014, 06:25:55 PM
Suggestion:
Let us pick what type of ground we want in our plot before the game starts as it usually takes up most of the building time replacing it with your own mouse.
maybe not so much that we get to pick, but some instances may require drastic terrain modification and would benefit from a different plot style at the beginning. (ie: for a ship building competition, make the plots longer and thinner, with water instead of dirt.)

Juwayyid

Actually, I like Vance's idea.  For example, if we were building a ship it would save a hell of alot of time to just have the floor be filled with water or sand to start.  It would save time as replacing a floor isn't quite so much building, but certainly is a time waster.

square_cupacke

i suggested that right after the candyland one :o

Juwayyid

I'd also like to just say that this week I'd like to try something new.  There has been so many different opinions all over the place regarding how we set up teams / solo builds.  Players want random teams, players want to choose their teams, and players don't want to do teams at all!

Would it be alright to allow players to choose whether they want a team or not, as well as who they will build with, before the theme is chosen.  This way, players who want a team can still have one while those who want to go solo can do that as well. 

I would be for alternating each week between solo build and team build.  Yeah, players will probably step out during solo nights, but I think we could probably still come up with a strong number of builders anyway.  Plus, those who haven't been playing because of teams can be assured that they will be building solo.

With those two ideas out, I would also just like to say that we will be voting for the theme like we used to.  It just makes more sense, haha.

Let's hear your thoughts!

Krawkyz

I'm unsure where my stance currently stands on teams. Personally, I'd rather have alternating weeks with solo/teams. The teams should be completely random. This adds to the different aspect of it.

Solo: You gotta build an entire randomly themed build all on your own in 1 hour. Difficult, yet possible.

Team: You have to coordinate with a random teammate in order to fit the theme with your build. Possibly even more difficult than solo.

The difficulty is what makes the build-off fun. I think we should do alternating.

Note: Also, the gimmicks that Vixiy keeps blabbering over: we should use those once and see if people like it or not. (That's how we did teams in the first place.)

Juwayyid

If you participate in the Saturady Night Build-Offs with us, please take a moment to give your opinion on a few matters:

Choosing the ground block for your plot pre-game:  http://strawpoll.me/1812366  (Yes = we choose, No = Grass only)

Choosing team vs solo builds:  http://strawpoll.me/1812375  (Yes = Alternate, No = We Vote)

The idea of a "Twist" thrown into a buildoff:  http://strawpoll.me/1812386  (Yes = Add twist every 10 games, No = No twist ever)

Play your way?  You can choose to build alone or choose your partner to build with!  http://strawpoll.me/1812394  (Yes = Choose teams or choose to build alone, No = Vote and randomize like we always have)

Krawkyz

Hey guys! Make sure to vote on those straw polls above, otherwise we cannot make informed decisions unto the future of the buildoff.

And speaking of the future, here's some upcoming features of the newest revamp of the buildoff. I won't tell you what they are, but you can imagine!

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]