NFT: Whats Happened to PKS?

Started by ThorSummoner, November 06, 2011, 07:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThorSummoner

Notes From Thor:
What Has Happened to PKS

Welcome one and all! I hope you find us ASAP!
What has happened to pks is that our beloved owner and ruler have decided to take an imprompt-tu departure.
In my discussions with him he claims he has grown tired of dealing with bad apples, and in more substantial events, has chosen to focus more on his schooling.
This news came to me very abruptly and unexpectedly, His intentions were to "flip the switch" and just plain turn it all off, disconnect everything and remove his ties with this child of his.
And although in this analogy this implies that we as a group have been bastardised; it is has not come disheartedly;
I talked very much of a transfer of power from him to me, as I would gladly brunt leadership of our turmoil;
It has been my life, and I refuse to just let it die.
This is much feared and much fantasized realism for me, I now have abilities I never had at an earlier date, and I intend to be the all-around figure head of this community.
I have long considered myself a go-to guy and a right-hand-man of power, whether I was or was not, he was still one of my best friends.

So back to the clan, turmoil right?
Out main means of communication were abruptly removed, out servers have been going down like flies for months;
But we look back at the classic community and we had I believe the 4th best game server in all of classic minecraft.
4 out of hundreds, that pretty damn good; and we will do our best to keep those severs alive;
In a specific event, Power specifically asked me to change the name, Everything PK and PKS associated is to be dropped and left to rot;
In pursuit of a new name I see the coloration between "PowerHouse" and "PowerKrewServers",
This was created in his likeness and if I am to ever garnish respect I feel the need for similar coloration;
I proposed to myself Thorian, or Thorium; I've used Thorium in my private life before to refer to things I've made, but for the community I've already purchased Thorian.Net and plan to associate all services though a ThorianNet scheme.

Under this new name I will contuse to rebuild up out resources;
There is a great disadvantage in this change of power;
Mostly in hardware specks, we'd ran game severs on a high bandwidth connection on a hex-core machine and I believe three boxes running different services, easily satisfying our once quite satisfactory user base;
Ever since minecraft has become into our clan it has infected us like a benign disease;
We slowly shut down out hl2 based game servers for the high traffic, low requirement popularity and success of minecraft.
Now it has become our only game base as our tf2 server lost traffic, and way after out gmod server lost all traffic.
So now I come to you, hoping to rebuild on the ruins and erect a monolith of our greatness, openness of community, and good hearted users.

You are very much welcome here, we wantend to honor as many PKS "premium" or "vip" members as we can, as well as member ranks for all out regulars.

^ I may have rambled and gotten off topic; Will answer all question in this thread!
-Thor

Skittlez

Thor, you misunderstood the point of this new server; we do not plan on having a single "leader" or figure in power. This did not work out on the last server and will not work out on the new one, if the one leader suddenly becomes disinterested in the server, the entire server, as well as all the work and money put in by all other players, becomes jeopardized. Also, you should know the slogan "absolute power corrupts absolutely" and we want to avoid that situation. This server will have a co-owner ship between you, skitty, bren, and darthjahona. The close supporters and organizers will be McG, CTS, Jwirth, gaminguru, and myself.
Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Skitty

thor,
i see lots of I and Me. PK Classic is the lifeblood of system. I now bear it. Today the pk3 and
pk1 servers have reached the top 100 and 25 GLOBAL ranking and we are still rising; and you just
dismiss it. i bear most of the weight now. and since my entrance into the server system i have
been relatively quiet. voicing when i need to. so here's me voicing my opinion. ALL FOR ONE AND ONE
FOR ALL. we are either in this together as a team or we are not. both ways i will keep my system
running with the PK servers. and i will change the name to what i see fit if i have to. however
we are a team. not just your lackeys. i stressed that to you earlier when we spoke about thorian
and how you should not jump into it. i liked the name due to mass effect.

however you dismissed a system that many people have poured their life to. countless sleepless
nights i have stayed on these servers to protect them and watch them flourish. this post is not
only unfair to me and the staff of the classic servers it is unfair to the members and players
who dedicated their time and effort to the server.

maybe you don't understand it but pks is dead. and right now im bearing about 90% of everything due
to the fact everybody who has stepped up cannot fulfill the duties that is required to keep us
operational. and to be honest from the deepest pit of dark ooze that is my soul. i believe that
without the staff of the servers supporting me and without bren skittles and the rest that
includes you thor i would have no done what i have. i took part of the burden to share it with the
rest. no one man who bear it.

there i voiced my opinion. something that is extremely hard for me to do.

Shoot for the moon. And if you miss....You'll die horribly in space.

Juwayyid

I completely agree with the...  Skits...  And I realize that this, coming from a guy with nearly no power or control over anything, really probably seems so unimportant.  But I am standing from where most of the community stands, and I do feel as though I can benefit greatly to everyone.  Therefore, It only seems fit that the power of the community be shared.  I'm not on here saying that I should get a share of control, but perhaps the followers themselves should have say.  Power cannot belong to one single person.  The classic community is amazing and Skitty cannot be tossed to the shadows.  We are lucky to have him and the work he has done.  There needs to be a complete reformation perhaps.  Everyone's Ideas need to be kept in mind and used to create an ultimatley satisfying world.  I feel as though Thor wants to creating a "Thor worshiping" environment, somewhat like powerhouse was so godlike.  Things need to be different to appeal to all!
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

Skittlez

That was very touching juw, and very true, I'm sure Skitty appreciates it. And I must agree, we are trying to spread the power across very thinley. I hope to see a server where everyone's opinions count, and not where there is one person calling all the shots.

Juwayyid

HAHA, time to build a democracy!  bring on the court house competitions!  We can only have the best one to decide the fates by the jury!  haha
Though not of this world, The Juwayyid finds human kind to be a tolerable enough species to hang around with.

Jahona

Were in this for the long haul boys and girls.  We have been struck a sudden blow, but what has not wiped us out will make us stronger.  We will rebuild, We will reconnect, and We Will Thrive!

What Thor has said happened was what I figured. 

Since it looks like the general consensus is to not have a single monarchy system as in the past I suggest a council of players.  Those that have been here the longest, that have responsibility, or have great minds shall as a group lead us into the future.

I want to thank Thor and Skitty and everyone else that have continued to keep these servers alive.

Sincerely
Darthjahona
Step into the prehistoric era and come face to face with some of the greatest animals to ever walk the Earth!

Sublimity

I agree with Skitty, Skittlez, Juway and darth. This community has always been led by a single person and I think it is time for a change. We have been abandoned (sort of) and we must get back to the top and the only way we can do that is by being a team!

If there is anything I can do to help this server get its deserved position, I'm glad to do so!

NickyKim

There has been a lot of complaints from the lower ranks complaining that some rules need to be changed, ruling systems rearranged, and that there are corrupt admins and superops in the servers.
I think that was because we didn't have a government in PK that allows everyone who is a member to participate in the decision-making processes and almost all power was distributed to only the staffs.
Like Sublimity, Skitty, Darth, Juway, and Skittlez said, we should have a council government that includes all, regardless of rank, to have a say in the Krew's direction. Of course we need a group to lead us, but I say that they should include everyone to and not use their leading powers to suppress the lower ranked fellows.
So, I call for an open-minded government, focusing on how to make ALL the members happy, and not just on gettting rid of complaints. That will require looking deeply into everyone's problems, and involving a lot of members to solve it.
This way, everyone's going to be happy and the servers free of problems.
M.D. Kim, Nicky

Skittlez

Quotethere are corrupt admins and SuperOPs in the servers.
This is Minecraft, how can we have corrupt admins? Unless someone is paying off the admin on Beta with G's.
There will be an updated set of rules that will be posted. You are all welcome to comment on it. I don't know about a full congress; one down fault of Democracy is that it is way to long of a process. I think we will keep it at having several co owners that will share the power. And if anyone has any ideas, we have a fantastic set of owners who are more then willing to listen.

Jahona

Quote from: Skittlez on November 07, 2011, 06:07:07 PMUnless someone is paying off the admin on Beta with G's.

Shhh your giving away my secrets.
Step into the prehistoric era and come face to face with some of the greatest animals to ever walk the Earth!

Skittlez

Quote from: darthjahona on November 07, 2011, 07:36:48 PM
Quote from: Skittlez on November 07, 2011, 06:07:07 PMUnless someone is paying off the admin on Beta with G's.

Shhh your giving away my secrets.
Oh! Sorry! Got it!  :-X

Juwayyid

Well, My democracy thing was a joke, but I always thought it would be cool to bring a crime to an in game court house and argue it as a community.  Too many skittlez and morin cases that go unheard of for a time, and then we end up not being able to speak to those friends. 

Commander Fog

Hello, a good majority of you won't recognize me.

I've been a member of PKS since PowerHouse found me messing around on a Garry's Mod server back in 2008
and promoted me to admin on our servers the same week if I remember correct, I've always somewhat quietly kept up with
the forums, I'd often test out Power's new progs and addons involving Gmod. He put me with a couple members to work on music, maps
images, whatever.

But with what's just happened, I don't know what to do... I considered removing my PK tags on Steam and just calling it that and moving on but...
I can't do that, I loved PK, even when the Gmod servers were dead, it seemed like there'd be something to help out with if I were just to ask for something
to kill time.

I was an admin on MC classic, but that was short lived, the game bored me I suppose. Since I don't do MC, I don't know if there's anything left for me in this branch. I don't know if I should just stay and wait for something to pick up, try to revive some more Gmodding PKS members, or just say sayonara, and move on...

-Commander Fog (aka: Yuki, Triv, ウーエイン, 長門有希)

bren4q

Hi Commander Fog. PowerHouse asked that we drop the "PowerKrew" title from any servers that we continued to run after the demise of the last forum. The community of players that remained has adopted Insomniac Servers as the new tag so we are gradually phasing out "PK" and "PowerKrew" from server titles. The PowerKrew group on Steam is still there, which is a little odd. I thought that would have been closed too.

Minecraft was the only game being run on the PK servers at the time it closed. It would be good to have a broader range of games being hosted and populated again, but some obstacles for that are that we dont have many host PCs available and there may not be many gmod players among the current group. I bought gmod a while after joining PK with the intention of playing it with the other gmod guys, but with the empty gmod servers and steep learning curve of the game, I didnt stick with it for long.

We will keep Minecraft running since it is a good way to gain new members but we'd be open to ideas for other things too.
Surplus to requirements